I have been curious about cooking with essential oils since I first got my Premium Starter Kit. Essential oils have such great health benefits, and they’re so much more potent than fruit juices or fresh herbs.
If you are coming over from Pen of a Ready Writer, welcome!
Here’s our first oily recipe experiment, Cilantro Lime Rice. It came out really well. Delicious, even!
One tip about cooking with essential oils. Remember that essential oils are distilled at low temperatures, so if you heat them, they’re going to evaporate. It’s best to add the oils after the recipe is cooked, shortly before serving.
- 1 cup rice, prepared according to package directions (We like basmati, but any rice will work.)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped or minced according to your preference (reserve a small handful for garnishing)
- 6-8 drops Young Living lime oil or the juice of 1 lime
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1-2 cups corn (I used a 2-cup bag that we froze last summer.)
- 1 can diced green chiles
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- shredded cheddar cheese
- Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small skillet. SautÃ© onion until tender. Add garlic and cook additional minute or two.
- In a large bowl, combine onion mixture, an additional tablespoon olive oil, cilantro, and lime essential oil. Add the rice and toss to coat. If you want to use the rice as a side dish, stop here.
- To make the rice into a meal, continue as below.
- In a second large bowl, mix black beans, corn, green chiles, and diced tomatoes.
- To serve, place a spoonful of rice on the plate next to with a spoonful of the bean mixture.
- Top with a sprinkle of cilantro, shredded cheddar cheese, and a dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream.
The Essentially Summer blog series is going on all week long. You can find recipesÂ from bloggers like myself using all our favorite essential oils. The series includes everything from drinks and smoothies to main courses, side dishes (like mine), and desserts. The main list is at My Blessed Life.
Are you ready to jump in to the wonderful world of caring for your family with therapeutic grade essential oils? The time is now! CLICK HERE to learn more or contact the person who introduced you to the Essentially Summer blog recipe series.
The next blogger in the series is Â Peace, Joy, and Oil, sharing a delicious recipe for Roasted Vegetable Pasta Salad using fennel, basil andÂ lemonÂ essential oil. Check it out!
© 2014, Tara Ziegmont. All rights reserved.