13 Bible Verses to Overcome Disappointment

I am not a born optimist, but then, I don’t think anyone really is.

Despite appearances, I do not naturally see the good in people or in situations. My heart hides snarky cynicism and crushing depression, fragile insecurity and paralyzing anxiety. I have to work (harder than you think) at being pleasant and cheerful and uplifting.

I fail.

It is 12:52 am.

I am alone in a dark, quiet house. Isn’t this every mothers’ dream? Peace and quiet and time for reflection?

The rest of my family is enjoying a planned weekend away. I, too, had weekend plans, cancelled against my wishes at the last minute.

My heart is so heavy, burdened with the loss of encouragement and refreshment and friendship the weekend promised.

My limbs should be splayed out in the middle of my empty bed, and I should be deep in sleep.

About ten minutes ago, words I read in a Skype chat almost three weeks ago jolted me awake. My eyes flung open, and I jumped out of bed.

You should write about dealing with disappointment, she typed.

I can’t, I argued. There are too many disappointments in my life right now (little did I know what was on the horizon!). It’s just too close to home.

I don’t remember what she said next, whether it was something like That’s why you should write about it, or Do it when you’re ready, or maybe nothing at all. I hadn’t thought about the conversation another second until it woke me up in the middle of the night.

Bible verse to overcome disappointment

Disappointment (noun): the feeling of sadness or displeasure caused by the defeat of one’s hopes or expectations

The disappointments in my life have been many.

The selfish, immature part of me wants to lay them all out before you, as if your kindness and pity would make them go away.  They won’t.

Our disappointments are different, yours and mine, but we both have them. Yours are as real and crushing and painful to you as mine are to me, and they linger, needling our hearts, despite our best intentions to leave them behind.

13 Bible Verses & 6 Steps to Overcome Disappointment

1. Believe in God’s plan. Our God is a miracle worker. He can part waters, move boulders, heal the dead (not just the sick, remember, the dead), save, destroy, bless, and curse. He can do anything, everything, things beyond our comprehension.

“My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,” says the Lord. “And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine. For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts. Isaiah 55:8-9

When I say you have to believe, I mean you have to believe that God has got this thing in His hands. He is looking out for you. He is working out a plan that is bigger than you, and you are going to be better for it in the end.

“For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.” Jeremiah 29:11

Sometimes, it takes a painful disappointment to teach us a skill or strengthen our faith or to put us in the right place at the right time. We don’t know His ways or His thoughts. We just have to believe in His promise.

2. Grieve. Things have not gone the way you wanted. Your hopes and expectations have been defeated. You need to spend some quiet time being sad, mourning the way you thought things would be.

The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:18

Cry. Exercise. Read. Do whatever it is that releases the sadness, the disappointment, the defeat.
    And then, eventually, you have to stop grieving and move on.

Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning. Psalm 30:5

Disappointment is not meant to define you, my friend. It is not meant to hold you hostage or weigh you down into the mire of depression. Don’t give it that power.

3. Pray. You had to know this was coming, right? Spend some time talking to your Heavenly Father. Tell Him your heartache. Tell Him about the plans you had and ask Him to show you why He’s taken them away. I promise you that He has good in this for you, and it’s okay to ask Him what that good is.

And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them. Romans 8:28

Talk to Him like you’d talk to your best friend. Your prayer doesn’t have to be pretty or sound like one at your church. It just has to be honest and come from your heart.

Give your burdens to the Lord, and he will take care of you. He will not permit the godly to slip and fall. Psalm 55:22

You, my friend, are the godly. You are chasing after God, trying to do the right thing, seeking a better understanding of Him. Aren’t you? He’s talking about you.

Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

4. Listen and wait. Big things happen when we pray. Sometimes, they are blessings beyond our expectations.

But when you pray, go away by yourself, shut the door behind you, and pray to your Father in private. Then your Father, who sees everything, will reward you. Matthew 6:6

Wait patiently for the Lord. Be brave and courageous. Yes, wait patiently for the Lord. Psalms 27:14

5. Search for the good. This is a miserable time to try to be thankful. I don’t know about you, but all I want to do is wallow in self pity of my dreams deferred (or dreams lost). This is the time when it’s hardest – and most important – to find the good, grab onto it with both hands, and celebrate it. You need to.

This is the day the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24

In beginning this post in the middle of the night, I came to understand that it wouldn’t have happened if my plans had worked out. I wouldn’t have been sleeping fitfully. I wouldn’t have jumped out of bed to write these words. It was God’s plan for me to write these words. (It has been an incredibly soothing and cathartic process). It is also His plan for you to be reading them right now. I am thankful that He chose me.

Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Ephesians 5:19b-20

6. Believe in yourself. You too are part of God’s great plan. He is preparing you to do His work right now, even in this time of disappointment. No matter what burden comes, know that He will help you stand underneath it, carry it up the hill, and triumph over it in the end.*

Have you never heard? Have you never understood? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of all the earth. He never grows weak or weary. No one can measure the depths of his understanding. He gives power to the weak and strength to the powerless. Even youths will become weak and tired, and young men will fall in exhaustion. But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:28-31

God believes in you. You may not feel equipped to handle this on your own, but He’ll give you what you need to get through it.

For I can do all things through Christ, who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13

*The triumph doesn’t always happen when we think it should. Sometimes, we only triumph over our struggles as we leave this broken world. A conversation I had with my pastor illustrates this point:

“Tara, God will heal her.”

“I just don’t know that He will. She is so sick. She hardly gets out of bed.”

“He is going to heal her. He might heal her body now, or He might heal her soul in heaven, but you can trust Him to heal her.”

Wow. The simplicity and immensity of that statement left me with many tears but complete peace. We can trust Him to defeat our disappointment, no matter what it is.

What Bible verses help you to overcome disappointment? Share them in the comments.

8 Tips for Stress-free Living

© 2013 – 2014, Tara Ziegmont. All rights reserved.

Comments

I just stopped and prayed for you after reading this. These verses are wonderful. I know when I went through my struggle with my mom being ill, the verse about the mustard seed, came to my mind a lot. As well as the one about listening and obeying your parents as my mom and I had very different views on how much I should care for her in her illness, I saw her refusing my help as hurtful but God showed me it was her way of expressing love for me.

This is lovely. I love where you say disappointment is not meant to define you and don’t give it power. We cannot let disappointment hold us back…we must move forward…better things are ahead if you can see through the disappointment and on to the blessings in our lives. You conveyed all of this so well…I am thinking of you.

3. Pauline says

I am very sad n disappointed. Can someone quote me some comforting verses fr the bible. I always try my best to help n be nice to others,but most of the time they either abuse my kindness or did not treat me well. I wonder is it because I am not pretty, don’t know how to project a good image or because I am not well off or holds a high post

4. Michelle says

I was feeling sorry for myself because my children dissapointed me on Mother’s Day. I was also a little upset with my husband. So I decided to look up bible verses that dealt with dissapointment. I quickly came upon your posts and related bible verses. I sincerely prayed about my dissapointment and asked God to take away my bitterness toward my children. As I was reading and praying, I got to the part about God answering prayers. You said, “Sometimes they happen right away, but usually they happen later when we least expect them. Keep waiting. You’ll know when your prayer has been answered.” Immediately afterwards, my phone rang. It was my husband calling to tell me that he loved me. I know that was God’s way of telling me “all is good. Forgive your kids because they just don’t understand.” I forgive them. I guess I shouldn’t expect them to feel the way I do about Mother’s Day. I feel much better now and this blog has helped me to remember that God is in charge and that dissapointments are simply challenges of faith. Thank you God for healing my heart.

• Sylvia Street says

God blessed you, dear! I had the same feelings about the same problem. I prayed on it this morning and then I found this site! He gave me peace and a calm spirit. Praise God!

5. April says

I just wanted to say thanks for this post. i got some pretty disappointing news tonight when i got home and i was so thankful to see this…what a wonderful way to see things and realize this life is so much more than what we think we want and if it was meant to be then God will make it happen when the time is right…thank u so much

6. Liz Williams says

Well it’s not quite 12:52am but it’s 12:10am in my house. Quiet with my husband and two little boys sleeping away. (I agree it should be a mothers dream ;) Today we just came back from my Granny’s house (about 2 hours away from home) visiting for the last time as the house was sold and they are closing this week. My beautiful fiesty Granny was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and was moved to a nursing home here in January. I have spent endless weekends and summers at my Granny’s. Countless memories. Gorgeous life long story telling memories. I just can’t shake it. I am devistated and heart broken…disappointed. Tears streaming I came across your blog and your words as I was searching for God’s words to help the hurt. “It Is also His plan for you to be reading them right now. I am thankful that He chose me.Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.Ephesians 5:19b-20

Wow!!

Not exactly sure why I just shared this with strangers, while sitting in the dark in our bathroom. But it was therapeutic, & definitely felt God speaking to me. Thank you so much!

I’m so sorry you had a change of plans on your fun weekend, but a firm believer that God chose you to speak to others in difficult times, including me.

Thank you, thank you.

It’s amazing how He puts us in the right place at the right time. I have written “devastated and heartbroken and disappointed” in my journal over and over in the last few months, and it has nothing to do with the fun weekend. All we can do is pray and find comfort in His Word. I’m honored to have helped you to do that. Thank you so much for sharing your heart.

7. Cindi says

thanks for this post, very helpful. I just found out I didn’t get a job I really wanted (been searching for 6 months) and I am miserable in the environment I am currently working in. While I am disappointed that I didn’t get the job, I think I’m probably most disappointed that God’s plan might be for me to stay at this awful place! (just call me Noah running from Nineva LOL) Now I’m a teesy bit hopeful that maybe He has better plans for me that I can’t see. But either way, I need to find a way to be at peace with the situation (content in all circumstances?? I wish). This blog post helped a lot, and I will be re-reading it and studying those verses as well. :-)

8. Traci Robb says

Thanks for posting what the Holy Spirit placed in you heart. I was searching for some words to give my daughter who is struggling with disappointment right now. This is a great help and ministered to me so much

9. Clarissa says

Soooo glad I came across your blog tonight! Thank you! Experiencing disappointment right now and this was JUST what I needed: to be reminded of how much my Heavenly Father loves and cares for me and that He has not left me in this and that His plans are MUCHHH better than my own!

10. Heart broken & wondering says

Hi,
    I wanted to know what to read in the bible when feeling disappointed & I came across this. Thank you for sharing. I feel guilty for wanting to wallow for just a little longer. I’m over 40 & never been married. Just recently I met this really lovely guy, initially he was just helping me with a few things & then asked me out a couple of times. He treated me beautifully, but when I asked him how he felt about God & Jesus the answer wasn’t what I had hoped. I pressed into God & he told me I had to step back. :(. It tool me so long to find someone who treated me as good as he did & I had to let him go. Just feeling sad & disappointed. I know & keep saying that God’s timing is perfect, but sometimes I wish he’d hurry up.

• Regina says

Dear Sister….I have been praying for God to send me a saved man of God for the past 15 years now…I have had many guys approach me, but they were never the desire of my heart…When someone was not right for me..The LORD would let me know. I am still waiting…some days are more frustrating than others…but I have to say that the good days outweigh the bad days :) I am holding on to God’s Word that says in His Psalms…Thank you Lord for blessing me with the desires of my heart!….Those who hope in the LORD will not be put to shame…disappointed….He desires that above all things that we prosper and be in health even as our souls prosper….also that He knows the plans that He has for us plans for good and not for evil, to give us a hope and a future….Be encouraged Sister….I believe He will come through for us and prove faithful to his promises toward us in ALL areas of our lives…In Jesus’ Mighty Name- Amen and Amen.

11. cassie says

Earlier today, something happened that left my heart experiencing such emptiness, displacement, even a little anger, and sorrow/grief. Thus, I searched for something to read on Google and your blog entry caught my heart’s eye. Thank you so much for taking the time to share in your typing. It reminded me that there is only ‘one’ who will never disappoint our yearning hearts. May God bless you.

12. Jennifer Timmons says

I was feeling a lot of disappointment today and I decided to look up what the bible says about dealing with disappointment. I came across this site. It is 11:15 p.m. and I was sitting earlier with my mother in our living room. She was spouting out all her disappointments. She is upset that her brother wrote very little in her sympathy card she received for her loss of her husband. She was saddened about the limited people who stopped by. She was saddened that she rarely sees her two adult sons. She is upset that people decide to come to the funeral but they rarely saw them during the time my dad was alive. In the midst of this, I shared with her about the moment just a few weeks ago when her son came to see her in the hospital and they shared a special hug. THis seemed to help. i find it hard to deal with so much sadness. I want a different life for us now that my father has passed.

13. Muneyi says

Thank you so much. I needed this . I am disappointed by the outcome of a relationship I believe was from God. I dated a man who was divorced and his friends have influenced him to doubt any new woman who comes into his life. We had such a good relationship but now mistrust reigns and plans cancelled all because of bad influence from people who do not even know me. God help me

14. Tosha says

Thanks sister! May God bless u for this piece of information.
    it has helped me somuch because i have some confrontation with my girlfriend! she has left me but pray for her to come back. i realy luv her somuch!!!

15. Uniqua says

I’m so thankful for you posting these words. I am in a relationship with an addict. I am at my wits end. Promises after promises. He was in an accident last week. He sat in his hospital bed crying, saying God had given him a second chance, I should too. So I decided to open my heart again, believing him, again. Wanting to believe him so badly. Here we are not even a week out of the hospital and he goes and gets a fix. Stitches, broken bones or not..I had to kick him out. I can not allow him to be one that wrecks my spirit. I love him, but I love my sanity and myself so much more. I did this for my own good. My level of disappointment has reached an all time high. I feel like my prayers are not helping. I know God has a plan for us all. Bless you for your inspirations. Know that in this very difficult time they are comforting my broken heart and my damaged soul.

16. alena mcgowan says

I have been extremely disappointed in other’s, with my sadness, I often react in the wrong way which leaves me feeling disappointed with myself. ( which is worse than feeling dissapointed with other’s) I appreciate this website amoungst other’s that I am able to learn through God’s word to deal with and overcome lives disapointments. Thank You~

17. shirley says

I too was doing a simple search on disappointment–so grateful the Lord guided me to your blog.—these scriptures of truth combined with your compassion have been like medicine for my hurting heart–like an outstretched hand of help- thank you– a renewing of the mind for the broken hearted-

18. Blessed Sheriff says

I just wanted to say, I’m so thankful for you. I just came back from a major competition that would have given me thousands of dollars in college tuition. I’m a high school student and my family is not rich at all. I have a single mother and four siblings and we live on about 20,000 a year. College is my dream and I was depending on God to see me through. I didn’t get where I wanted to be, but still I give God all the glory. I know he’s taking me where he wants me to be. I loved it when you wrote about asking God why things happen. Too often I feel like we’re deferred from expressing anger and pain and we have so many bitter questions for God that we try to ignore for fear of losing his favor. But the bible say’s his faithfulness is FOREVER. Thanks to you I finally built the courage to cry out to God and ask him why he let what happened happen, but also I was able to ask him for comfort. I’m so much closer to letting it go and trusting God. His word says he works everything together for the good of those who love him. I believe it.

God bless you.

19. Christine says

Am blessed and encouraged,i can over come aswell my heart break. Ive just realised God cares about how i feel.

20. Terri says

My dearest ones in Christ, living stones we all are and searching for some balance to the weight of sadness and grief and disappointment that comes into every life. God sees us and I pray for all of us and the ones yet to come that we know He is near. The word is in our heart and we are not to let the word depart from our mouth. We need to speak it and learn scriptures as these because people including us our selfish and we all get hurt. I feel your pain. I read each one and I am sad too thinking after so many years of marriage and wading through hard times again and again in my getting older into my 50’s there would be some sweetness to being married. There is but wanting to really walk with the Lord and your spouse seems so far away. Simple isn’t it but deep waters and many years. I know God loves me and He spoke to me 15 years ago in Job, Don’t deny my providence. His plan, His way, all good even if we see it not in this world but we certainly do see good don’t we. And you know what? He does want to be our all. If we let Him have first place truly He never lets us down and He takes those dissapointments and weaves them into beautiful things that we learn and grow from and that He Himself lifts us into heavenly realms. Knowing Him, leaning on Him takes us into the realm of the heavenly. God bless all who come her and settle our hearts solid in you. This will pass. One day, we will be with you forever. Terri

21. Michelle says

This was so powerful and what I needed to read as I have dealt with so much disappointment and even feeling mad at god thanks for being sensitive and stepping out and writing this

22. Amelia says

Thank you, your words and scriptures have been a blessing to me. I needed this so much, and you are right, I believe it was in his plan for me to find your blog and read it. I believe everything happens for a reason, and even though the disappointments I feel right now are hard, I’m sure that he is working it all out for my good. Thank you again.

23. Lesa says

Great wisdom shared in this post. Thank you! Luke 10:19 “Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing will injure you.”

24. Melissa says

This has also ministered to me…..no doubt that it was written under the anointing of the Holy Spirit. My husband lost his job on May 30. He has since had disappointment after disappointment while job searching. We know the Lord will provide a job; however, the waiting is almost unbearable. Please pray for us. Thank you.

25. Megan thomas says

im 18 years old ive recently gave my life to god , and I find myself running from so much sin, I have to remind myself that that I can be young saved and happy , ive been struggling with some things my whole life and they’re getting better , its very hard for me to keep faith sometimes ,but I pray and ask god to forgive me for doubting him and losing faith at times. I love god and everything he has done for me.

26. Sarah says

“It was God’s plan for me to write these words… It is also His plan for you to be reading them right now. I am thankful that He chose me.”

Thank you. I am going through a difficult period, filled with lots of disappoint, heartache, and uncertainty. Without a doubt, it was God’s plan for you to write this blog, and I hope you know and take comfort in how many you have given hope to.

27. Michelle says

Hello Tara. I googled “scriptures for dealing with disappointments”.. I came to your words and I thank God for them. What really got to me was when you said if you hadn’t experienced your disappointment then you wouldn’t have written this and I wouldn’t have been able to read it tonight. Only God can use something so hurtful for His purpose and use if to bring people like me comfort. Every word you wrote was EXACTLY what I needed right at this moment. I hope you get this message so you can see God still using you. God bless you.

28. Karin Taylor says

Thank you so much for hearing Him when he told you to write this! I was looking for inspirational words when I found this. I have been so sad, lonely, and disappointed with things. This was exactly what I needed to read! God bless you!

29. tamara ramsey says

I was having a difficult time tonight dealing with my son’s heartache and disappointment in learning that he had dropped from first string left guard to fourth string tight end in a day. As I sit here trying to understand why college coaches string kids along only to quickly shatter their hopes, I am trying to come to terms that there is a much bigger plan for him. Although my son and I may not see what God has in store for him, I can only put my trust in him knowing that it is what’s best for him. Thank you for reminding me that even though I may not understand the reason, God is always in control and for that I am forever grateful.

30. christi says

Thank you for listening and writing these words. I am going through a divorce which I am.ok with bit I am struggling with being bale to provide for my 3 children. I am on the process of looking for a job and I have felt so defeated and alone. I have applied for about 30 jobs and only 2 interviews and still no job. I know God has a plan and it will be in his time…..just praying his time will be soon. I wallowed all after noon so now it’s time to finish it up and praise God for all I have and the plan he will be bringing to me.

31. Cathy Zubrod says

Thank you for this! I too found it from a Google search for scripture readings on disappointment. You words were very healing. We have been in a very challenging season for several years now, and I frequently wonder when/if it will ever end. I try to stay positive, and remind myself that if not for these hard times, I might never have deepened my faith and truly entered into the relationship with Jesus I now have. Our Pastor recently did a sermon on how just like farmers, God grows good things in the valleys, not the mountain tops (even though the mountain tops seem like much more fun places to be!) Nevertheless, it is still hard – some days more than others. I do believe your words were anointed by the Holy Spirit! I pray for the healing and peace of us all!

32. Lindsay says

Thanks so much. My disappointment didn’t seem like a “big deal” but I just couldn’t get over it and this has helped.

33. amy says

Thank you so much! I had a rough few days and this helped me to realize that I need to practice patience while waiting to hear God’s answer. I need to believe in his plan and his timing rather than my own.

34. Jess says

I needed this so badly. Right this very moment I needed it. It is coming across things like this at the right time that let me know God is here and he cares even about little foolish disappointed me. Thank you for writing.

35. Shannon says

I noticed you wrote this over a year ago and it still is bringing help to so many people. I needed to read this just now. I am usually the upbeat and positive person but lately (even just 30 minutes ago) I have been facing disappointment and questioning God’s ways. I just found out my 21 year old niece is pregnant with her 3rd child in 3 years. I’m thrilled for her but I also am heartbroken because my husband and I have been told I can’t have children. We are in the process of adoption but it’s still disappointing to read of all the baby news and birth announcements. I know God is in control and will continue to keep my eyes on Him but it does seem hard when life seems to go so well for some and for others it’s a struggle with everything. Anyway, thank you for your post and for sharing your heart and God’s word. It was much needed!

36. Jay says

Thank you so much for this writeup. I just went through the 2nd shocker of my life this year.. First was finding out my fiance was cheating and now I just got bad news from a job I was hoping to get. I have been very confued for about 3days now, where do I go? What do i do? I have been out of a job for so long, i am deep in debt, I cannot even feed myself.. But after reading this, I am see light at the end of tunnel..

Someday, this will all make sense. God is able!

37. Angelina says

Hi! Just wanted to say I really needed to hear this! Its tough to go through disappointment but we have our Lord who is the God of all comforts! Blessed be His name! Disappointment hit me today in a way I didn’t expect but I choose forgiveness joy and hopein the Lord amidst the pain! Thank you for this post! Blessings!