13 Bible Verses to Overcome Disappointment

I am not a born optimist, but then, I don’t think anyone really is.

Despite appearances, I do not naturally see the good in people or in situations. My heart hides snarky cynicism and crushing depression, fragile insecurity and paralyzing anxiety. I have to work (harder than you think) at being pleasant and cheerful and uplifting.

I fail.

It is 12:52 am.

I am alone in a dark, quiet house. Isn’t this every mothers’ dream? Peace and quiet and time for reflection?

The rest of my family is enjoying a planned weekend away. I, too, had weekend plans, cancelled against my wishes at the last minute.

My heart is so heavy, burdened with the loss of encouragement and refreshment and friendship the weekend promised.

My limbs should be splayed out in the middle of my empty bed, and I should be deep in sleep.

About ten minutes ago, words I read in a Skype chat almost three weeks ago jolted me awake. My eyes flung open, and I jumped out of bed.

You should write about dealing with disappointment, she typed.

I can’t, I argued. There are too many disappointments in my life right now (little did I know what was on the horizon!). It’s just too close to home.

I don’t remember what she said next, whether it was something like That’s why you should write about it, or Do it when you’re ready, or maybe nothing at all. I hadn’t thought about the conversation another second until it woke me up in the middle of the night.

Bible verse to overcome disappointment

Disappointment (noun): the feeling of sadness or displeasure caused by the defeat of one’s hopes or expectations

The disappointments in my life have been many.

The selfish, immature part of me wants to lay them all out before you, as if your kindness and pity would make them go away.  They won’t.

Our disappointments are different, yours and mine, but we both have them. Yours are as real and crushing and painful to you as mine are to me, and they linger, needling our hearts, despite our best intentions to leave them behind.

13 Bible Verses & 6 Steps to Overcome Disappointment

1. Believe in God’s plan. Our God is a miracle worker. He can part waters, move boulders, heal the dead (not just the sick, remember, the dead), save, destroy, bless, and curse. He can do anything, everything, things beyond our comprehension.

“My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,” says the Lord. “And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine. For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts. Isaiah 55:8-9

When I say you have to believe, I mean you have to believe that God has got this thing in His hands. He is looking out for you. He is working out a plan that is bigger than you, and you are going to be better for it in the end.

“For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.” Jeremiah 29:11

Sometimes, it takes a painful disappointment to teach us a skill or strengthen our faith or to put us in the right place at the right time. We don’t know His ways or His thoughts. We just have to believe in His promise.

2. Grieve. Things have not gone the way you wanted. Your hopes and expectations have been defeated. You need to spend some quiet time being sad, mourning the way you thought things would be.

The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:18

Cry. Exercise. Read. Do whatever it is that releases the sadness, the disappointment, the defeat.
    And then, eventually, you have to stop grieving and move on.

Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning. Psalm 30:5

Disappointment is not meant to define you, my friend. It is not meant to hold you hostage or weigh you down into the mire of depression. Don’t give it that power.

3. Pray. You had to know this was coming, right? Spend some time talking to your Heavenly Father. Tell Him your heartache. Tell Him about the plans you had and ask Him to show you why He’s taken them away. I promise you that He has good in this for you, and it’s okay to ask Him what that good is.

And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them. Romans 8:28

Talk to Him like you’d talk to your best friend. Your prayer doesn’t have to be pretty or sound like one at your church. It just has to be honest and come from your heart.

Give your burdens to the Lord, and he will take care of you. He will not permit the godly to slip and fall. Psalm 55:22

You, my friend, are the godly. You are chasing after God, trying to do the right thing, seeking a better understanding of Him. Aren’t you? He’s talking about you.

Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

4. Listen and wait. Big things happen when we pray. Sometimes, they are blessings beyond our expectations.

But when you pray, go away by yourself, shut the door behind you, and pray to your Father in private. Then your Father, who sees everything, will reward you. Matthew 6:6

Wait patiently for the Lord. Be brave and courageous. Yes, wait patiently for the Lord. Psalms 27:14

5. Search for the good. This is a miserable time to try to be thankful. I don’t know about you, but all I want to do is wallow in self pity of my dreams deferred (or dreams lost). This is the time when it’s hardest – and most important – to find the good, grab onto it with both hands, and celebrate it. You need to.

This is the day the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24

In beginning this post in the middle of the night, I came to understand that it wouldn’t have happened if my plans had worked out. I wouldn’t have been sleeping fitfully. I wouldn’t have jumped out of bed to write these words. It was God’s plan for me to write these words. (It has been an incredibly soothing and cathartic process). It is also His plan for you to be reading them right now. I am thankful that He chose me.

Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Ephesians 5:19b-20

6. Believe in yourself. You too are part of God’s great plan. He is preparing you to do His work right now, even in this time of disappointment. No matter what burden comes, know that He will help you stand underneath it, carry it up the hill, and triumph over it in the end.*

Have you never heard? Have you never understood? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of all the earth. He never grows weak or weary. No one can measure the depths of his understanding. He gives power to the weak and strength to the powerless. Even youths will become weak and tired, and young men will fall in exhaustion. But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:28-31

God believes in you. You may not feel equipped to handle this on your own, but He’ll give you what you need to get through it.

For I can do all things through Christ, who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13

*The triumph doesn’t always happen when we think it should. Sometimes, we only triumph over our struggles as we leave this broken world. A conversation I had with my pastor illustrates this point:

“Tara, God will heal her.”

“I just don’t know that He will. She is so sick. She hardly gets out of bed.”

“He is going to heal her. He might heal her body now, or He might heal her soul in heaven, but you can trust Him to heal her.”

Wow. The simplicity and immensity of that statement left me with many tears but complete peace. We can trust Him to defeat our disappointment, no matter what it is.

What Bible verses help you to overcome disappointment? Share them in the comments.

8 Tips for Stress-free Living

© 2013 – 2015, Tara Ziegmont. All rights reserved.

Comments

I just stopped and prayed for you after reading this. These verses are wonderful. I know when I went through my struggle with my mom being ill, the verse about the mustard seed, came to my mind a lot. As well as the one about listening and obeying your parents as my mom and I had very different views on how much I should care for her in her illness, I saw her refusing my help as hurtful but God showed me it was her way of expressing love for me.

This is lovely. I love where you say disappointment is not meant to define you and don’t give it power. We cannot let disappointment hold us back…we must move forward…better things are ahead if you can see through the disappointment and on to the blessings in our lives. You conveyed all of this so well…I am thinking of you.

3. Pauline says

I am very sad n disappointed. Can someone quote me some comforting verses fr the bible. I always try my best to help n be nice to others,but most of the time they either abuse my kindness or did not treat me well. I wonder is it because I am not pretty, don’t know how to project a good image or because I am not well off or holds a high post

4. Michelle says

I was feeling sorry for myself because my children dissapointed me on Mother’s Day. I was also a little upset with my husband. So I decided to look up bible verses that dealt with dissapointment. I quickly came upon your posts and related bible verses. I sincerely prayed about my dissapointment and asked God to take away my bitterness toward my children. As I was reading and praying, I got to the part about God answering prayers. You said, “Sometimes they happen right away, but usually they happen later when we least expect them. Keep waiting. You’ll know when your prayer has been answered.” Immediately afterwards, my phone rang. It was my husband calling to tell me that he loved me. I know that was God’s way of telling me “all is good. Forgive your kids because they just don’t understand.” I forgive them. I guess I shouldn’t expect them to feel the way I do about Mother’s Day. I feel much better now and this blog has helped me to remember that God is in charge and that dissapointments are simply challenges of faith. Thank you God for healing my heart.

• Sylvia Street says

God blessed you, dear! I had the same feelings about the same problem. I prayed on it this morning and then I found this site! He gave me peace and a calm spirit. Praise God!

5. April says

I just wanted to say thanks for this post. i got some pretty disappointing news tonight when i got home and i was so thankful to see this…what a wonderful way to see things and realize this life is so much more than what we think we want and if it was meant to be then God will make it happen when the time is right…thank u so much

6. Liz Williams says

Well it’s not quite 12:52am but it’s 12:10am in my house. Quiet with my husband and two little boys sleeping away. (I agree it should be a mothers dream 😉 Today we just came back from my Granny’s house (about 2 hours away from home) visiting for the last time as the house was sold and they are closing this week. My beautiful fiesty Granny was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and was moved to a nursing home here in January. I have spent endless weekends and summers at my Granny’s. Countless memories. Gorgeous life long story telling memories. I just can’t shake it. I am devistated and heart broken…disappointed. Tears streaming I came across your blog and your words as I was searching for God’s words to help the hurt. “It Is also His plan for you to be reading them right now. I am thankful that He chose me.Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.Ephesians 5:19b-20

Wow!!

Not exactly sure why I just shared this with strangers, while sitting in the dark in our bathroom. But it was therapeutic, & definitely felt God speaking to me. Thank you so much!

I’m so sorry you had a change of plans on your fun weekend, but a firm believer that God chose you to speak to others in difficult times, including me.

Thank you, thank you.

It’s amazing how He puts us in the right place at the right time. I have written “devastated and heartbroken and disappointed” in my journal over and over in the last few months, and it has nothing to do with the fun weekend. All we can do is pray and find comfort in His Word. I’m honored to have helped you to do that. Thank you so much for sharing your heart.

7. Cindi says

thanks for this post, very helpful. I just found out I didn’t get a job I really wanted (been searching for 6 months) and I am miserable in the environment I am currently working in. While I am disappointed that I didn’t get the job, I think I’m probably most disappointed that God’s plan might be for me to stay at this awful place! (just call me Noah running from Nineva LOL) Now I’m a teesy bit hopeful that maybe He has better plans for me that I can’t see. But either way, I need to find a way to be at peace with the situation (content in all circumstances?? I wish). This blog post helped a lot, and I will be re-reading it and studying those verses as well. :-)

8. Traci Robb says

Thanks for posting what the Holy Spirit placed in you heart. I was searching for some words to give my daughter who is struggling with disappointment right now. This is a great help and ministered to me so much

9. Clarissa says

Soooo glad I came across your blog tonight! Thank you! Experiencing disappointment right now and this was JUST what I needed: to be reminded of how much my Heavenly Father loves and cares for me and that He has not left me in this and that His plans are MUCHHH better than my own!

10. Heart broken & wondering says

Hi,
    I wanted to know what to read in the bible when feeling disappointed & I came across this. Thank you for sharing. I feel guilty for wanting to wallow for just a little longer. I’m over 40 & never been married. Just recently I met this really lovely guy, initially he was just helping me with a few things & then asked me out a couple of times. He treated me beautifully, but when I asked him how he felt about God & Jesus the answer wasn’t what I had hoped. I pressed into God & he told me I had to step back. :(. It tool me so long to find someone who treated me as good as he did & I had to let him go. Just feeling sad & disappointed. I know & keep saying that God’s timing is perfect, but sometimes I wish he’d hurry up.

• Regina says

Dear Sister….I have been praying for God to send me a saved man of God for the past 15 years now…I have had many guys approach me, but they were never the desire of my heart…When someone was not right for me..The LORD would let me know. I am still waiting…some days are more frustrating than others…but I have to say that the good days outweigh the bad days :) I am holding on to God’s Word that says in His Psalms…Thank you Lord for blessing me with the desires of my heart!….Those who hope in the LORD will not be put to shame…disappointed….He desires that above all things that we prosper and be in health even as our souls prosper….also that He knows the plans that He has for us plans for good and not for evil, to give us a hope and a future….Be encouraged Sister….I believe He will come through for us and prove faithful to his promises toward us in ALL areas of our lives…In Jesus’ Mighty Name- Amen and Amen.

11. cassie says

Earlier today, something happened that left my heart experiencing such emptiness, displacement, even a little anger, and sorrow/grief. Thus, I searched for something to read on Google and your blog entry caught my heart’s eye. Thank you so much for taking the time to share in your typing. It reminded me that there is only ‘one’ who will never disappoint our yearning hearts. May God bless you.

12. Jennifer Timmons says

I was feeling a lot of disappointment today and I decided to look up what the bible says about dealing with disappointment. I came across this site. It is 11:15 p.m. and I was sitting earlier with my mother in our living room. She was spouting out all her disappointments. She is upset that her brother wrote very little in her sympathy card she received for her loss of her husband. She was saddened about the limited people who stopped by. She was saddened that she rarely sees her two adult sons. She is upset that people decide to come to the funeral but they rarely saw them during the time my dad was alive. In the midst of this, I shared with her about the moment just a few weeks ago when her son came to see her in the hospital and they shared a special hug. THis seemed to help. i find it hard to deal with so much sadness. I want a different life for us now that my father has passed.

13. Muneyi says

Thank you so much. I needed this . I am disappointed by the outcome of a relationship I believe was from God. I dated a man who was divorced and his friends have influenced him to doubt any new woman who comes into his life. We had such a good relationship but now mistrust reigns and plans cancelled all because of bad influence from people who do not even know me. God help me

14. Tosha says

Thanks sister! May God bless u for this piece of information.
    it has helped me somuch because i have some confrontation with my girlfriend! she has left me but pray for her to come back. i realy luv her somuch!!!

15. Uniqua says

I’m so thankful for you posting these words. I am in a relationship with an addict. I am at my wits end. Promises after promises. He was in an accident last week. He sat in his hospital bed crying, saying God had given him a second chance, I should too. So I decided to open my heart again, believing him, again. Wanting to believe him so badly. Here we are not even a week out of the hospital and he goes and gets a fix. Stitches, broken bones or not..I had to kick him out. I can not allow him to be one that wrecks my spirit. I love him, but I love my sanity and myself so much more. I did this for my own good. My level of disappointment has reached an all time high. I feel like my prayers are not helping. I know God has a plan for us all. Bless you for your inspirations. Know that in this very difficult time they are comforting my broken heart and my damaged soul.

16. alena mcgowan says

I have been extremely disappointed in other’s, with my sadness, I often react in the wrong way which leaves me feeling disappointed with myself. ( which is worse than feeling dissapointed with other’s) I appreciate this website amoungst other’s that I am able to learn through God’s word to deal with and overcome lives disapointments. Thank You~

17. shirley says

I too was doing a simple search on disappointment–so grateful the Lord guided me to your blog.—these scriptures of truth combined with your compassion have been like medicine for my hurting heart–like an outstretched hand of help- thank you– a renewing of the mind for the broken hearted-

18. Blessed Sheriff says

I just wanted to say, I’m so thankful for you. I just came back from a major competition that would have given me thousands of dollars in college tuition. I’m a high school student and my family is not rich at all. I have a single mother and four siblings and we live on about 20,000 a year. College is my dream and I was depending on God to see me through. I didn’t get where I wanted to be, but still I give God all the glory. I know he’s taking me where he wants me to be. I loved it when you wrote about asking God why things happen. Too often I feel like we’re deferred from expressing anger and pain and we have so many bitter questions for God that we try to ignore for fear of losing his favor. But the bible say’s his faithfulness is FOREVER. Thanks to you I finally built the courage to cry out to God and ask him why he let what happened happen, but also I was able to ask him for comfort. I’m so much closer to letting it go and trusting God. His word says he works everything together for the good of those who love him. I believe it.

God bless you.

19. Christine says

Am blessed and encouraged,i can over come aswell my heart break. Ive just realised God cares about how i feel.

20. Terri says

My dearest ones in Christ, living stones we all are and searching for some balance to the weight of sadness and grief and disappointment that comes into every life. God sees us and I pray for all of us and the ones yet to come that we know He is near. The word is in our heart and we are not to let the word depart from our mouth. We need to speak it and learn scriptures as these because people including us our selfish and we all get hurt. I feel your pain. I read each one and I am sad too thinking after so many years of marriage and wading through hard times again and again in my getting older into my 50’s there would be some sweetness to being married. There is but wanting to really walk with the Lord and your spouse seems so far away. Simple isn’t it but deep waters and many years. I know God loves me and He spoke to me 15 years ago in Job, Don’t deny my providence. His plan, His way, all good even if we see it not in this world but we certainly do see good don’t we. And you know what? He does want to be our all. If we let Him have first place truly He never lets us down and He takes those dissapointments and weaves them into beautiful things that we learn and grow from and that He Himself lifts us into heavenly realms. Knowing Him, leaning on Him takes us into the realm of the heavenly. God bless all who come her and settle our hearts solid in you. This will pass. One day, we will be with you forever. Terri

21. Michelle says

This was so powerful and what I needed to read as I have dealt with so much disappointment and even feeling mad at god thanks for being sensitive and stepping out and writing this

22. Amelia says

Thank you, your words and scriptures have been a blessing to me. I needed this so much, and you are right, I believe it was in his plan for me to find your blog and read it. I believe everything happens for a reason, and even though the disappointments I feel right now are hard, I’m sure that he is working it all out for my good. Thank you again.

23. Lesa says

Great wisdom shared in this post. Thank you! Luke 10:19 “Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing will injure you.”

24. Melissa says

This has also ministered to me…..no doubt that it was written under the anointing of the Holy Spirit. My husband lost his job on May 30. He has since had disappointment after disappointment while job searching. We know the Lord will provide a job; however, the waiting is almost unbearable. Please pray for us. Thank you.

25. Megan thomas says

im 18 years old ive recently gave my life to god , and I find myself running from so much sin, I have to remind myself that that I can be young saved and happy , ive been struggling with some things my whole life and they’re getting better , its very hard for me to keep faith sometimes ,but I pray and ask god to forgive me for doubting him and losing faith at times. I love god and everything he has done for me.

26. Sarah says

“It was God’s plan for me to write these words… It is also His plan for you to be reading them right now. I am thankful that He chose me.”

Thank you. I am going through a difficult period, filled with lots of disappoint, heartache, and uncertainty. Without a doubt, it was God’s plan for you to write this blog, and I hope you know and take comfort in how many you have given hope to.

27. Michelle says

Hello Tara. I googled “scriptures for dealing with disappointments”.. I came to your words and I thank God for them. What really got to me was when you said if you hadn’t experienced your disappointment then you wouldn’t have written this and I wouldn’t have been able to read it tonight. Only God can use something so hurtful for His purpose and use if to bring people like me comfort. Every word you wrote was EXACTLY what I needed right at this moment. I hope you get this message so you can see God still using you. God bless you.

28. Karin Taylor says

Thank you so much for hearing Him when he told you to write this! I was looking for inspirational words when I found this. I have been so sad, lonely, and disappointed with things. This was exactly what I needed to read! God bless you!

29. tamara ramsey says

I was having a difficult time tonight dealing with my son’s heartache and disappointment in learning that he had dropped from first string left guard to fourth string tight end in a day. As I sit here trying to understand why college coaches string kids along only to quickly shatter their hopes, I am trying to come to terms that there is a much bigger plan for him. Although my son and I may not see what God has in store for him, I can only put my trust in him knowing that it is what’s best for him. Thank you for reminding me that even though I may not understand the reason, God is always in control and for that I am forever grateful.

30. christi says

Thank you for listening and writing these words. I am going through a divorce which I am.ok with bit I am struggling with being bale to provide for my 3 children. I am on the process of looking for a job and I have felt so defeated and alone. I have applied for about 30 jobs and only 2 interviews and still no job. I know God has a plan and it will be in his time…..just praying his time will be soon. I wallowed all after noon so now it’s time to finish it up and praise God for all I have and the plan he will be bringing to me.

31. Cathy Zubrod says

Thank you for this! I too found it from a Google search for scripture readings on disappointment. You words were very healing. We have been in a very challenging season for several years now, and I frequently wonder when/if it will ever end. I try to stay positive, and remind myself that if not for these hard times, I might never have deepened my faith and truly entered into the relationship with Jesus I now have. Our Pastor recently did a sermon on how just like farmers, God grows good things in the valleys, not the mountain tops (even though the mountain tops seem like much more fun places to be!) Nevertheless, it is still hard – some days more than others. I do believe your words were anointed by the Holy Spirit! I pray for the healing and peace of us all!

32. Lindsay says

Thanks so much. My disappointment didn’t seem like a “big deal” but I just couldn’t get over it and this has helped.

33. amy says

Thank you so much! I had a rough few days and this helped me to realize that I need to practice patience while waiting to hear God’s answer. I need to believe in his plan and his timing rather than my own.

34. Jess says

I needed this so badly. Right this very moment I needed it. It is coming across things like this at the right time that let me know God is here and he cares even about little foolish disappointed me. Thank you for writing.

35. Shannon says

I noticed you wrote this over a year ago and it still is bringing help to so many people. I needed to read this just now. I am usually the upbeat and positive person but lately (even just 30 minutes ago) I have been facing disappointment and questioning God’s ways. I just found out my 21 year old niece is pregnant with her 3rd child in 3 years. I’m thrilled for her but I also am heartbroken because my husband and I have been told I can’t have children. We are in the process of adoption but it’s still disappointing to read of all the baby news and birth announcements. I know God is in control and will continue to keep my eyes on Him but it does seem hard when life seems to go so well for some and for others it’s a struggle with everything. Anyway, thank you for your post and for sharing your heart and God’s word. It was much needed!

36. Jay says

Thank you so much for this writeup. I just went through the 2nd shocker of my life this year.. First was finding out my fiance was cheating and now I just got bad news from a job I was hoping to get. I have been very confued for about 3days now, where do I go? What do i do? I have been out of a job for so long, i am deep in debt, I cannot even feed myself.. But after reading this, I am see light at the end of tunnel..

Someday, this will all make sense. God is able!

37. Angelina says

Hi! Just wanted to say I really needed to hear this! Its tough to go through disappointment but we have our Lord who is the God of all comforts! Blessed be His name! Disappointment hit me today in a way I didn’t expect but I choose forgiveness joy and hopein the Lord amidst the pain! Thank you for this post! Blessings!

38. AngieB says

God knew I would seek out scriptures etc pertaining to a defeat (or curve ball I was thrown today)…thank you for sharing these relevant scriptures and reassuring words. All of this is confirmation that God has me in the palm if his hand. Man may feel they have received a big victory today, but your words (and the scriptures) you have shared have assured me that God does care for me despite it all. Continue to be encouraged as I strive to attain peace in my spirit

I think of disappointment as a black , oval device. It often has an “empowerment or motivational” switch on it. Sometimes it’s hidden behind an almost undetectable panel but it’s there. Case in point, the very disappointing exit from my last job. The dark bitter icing on the cake was the $26 pen and small leather pouch I was given for 17 years of service in which I distinguished myself. Out of my disappointment and disgust I thought, “From now on I will work for myself full-time and others part-time.” That thought has become my personal anthem and it helps propel me in the new direction I’m going in. The pen and the leather pouch (which I put things related to my business venture in) highly motivate me. I feel like I’m riding a dark, spirited thoroughbred out of a very disappointing situation to a much better one. Thanks for your post.

40. Jamie says

Thank you for sharing these words. It has helped me so much tonight dealing with a great dissapointment. I know my Father has a greater plan.

41. Sharath says

Thank you so much for this blog. Indeed God is speaking to me through this blog, when currently i am in a state of confusion and disappointment of shattered dreams. I prayed for something for almost 3 years and God said NO.

42. Jai says

Hello, it’s 5:08 a.m. of Nov. 21, 2014. I woke up today with God’s scriptures. I heard two church leaders preaching about God’s commandments for married people. Then I found myself searching for Bible verses on the internet. You are right. God chose you to write these and God wants me to LISTENto him through you. Thanks a lot. I have a lot of disappointments lately. I will keep in mind all these and I will also pray for you and your family. God bless you. <3

43. Mark says

It’s amazing how God can take a seemingly difficult situation and our disappointments and use it for His glory. Your pain and sadness became comfort for many people including myself. For I have been feeling great disappointment lately, especially this evening. That’s how I came across your blog while searching for answers. It made me think about the Apostle Paul. Not only did he reach many people for Christ, but he also penned most of his letters while being imprisoned. A passage of scripture to encourage you who may be suffering as I am…”Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.” (2 Corinthians 4:16-18). God bless.

44. Georgia says

Dear Tara,
    Thank you for popping up when I searched for dealing with disappointment biblically. It’s 12:35 am and I’m sad that I’ve spent two days in the kitchen preparing Thanksgiving Dinner for my family, including three teens (2 boys….19 and 17 and one girl…13), and I’ve have felt pretty lonely and unappreciated. It’s the first time in 15 years hosting Thanksgiving. In general, I live with an overwhelming sense of disappointment in myself, even though I know in my heart my Heavenly Father just loves me like I am and certainly doesn’t continually measure me. But, tonight I’m very disappointed thinking it was me as a mom that didn’t teach my kids to help around the house and be excited about the dinner. Probably sounds silly, but now that I’m 50, I’m okay with telling the truth. And that’s just the truth. Always thinking it’s fully on my shoulders to train up my kids, despite roadblocks and other challenges we face. I know God is always with me and loves my kids even more than I love them.

It’s late and really….I just wanted to say ‘thank you’ for sharing your heart. It’s good to know I’m not alone. This is the first time I’ve ever posted anything on a blog, and it’s been a great release and provision of comfort. God is good. I am so very thankful.

happy thanksgiving!
    Georgia

45. Cindy says

I am sad. My daughter has been suffering from a traumatic experience, and I know it’s Satan. She isn’t a believer right now and feels so distraught. Her choices were not anything I expected or hoped for for her. I needed to get this out to a faceless person who would hear me. I’m so sad.

• THE OLD MICK says

I wonder if this is my Cindy,or at least at one time she was.I have great joy in my heart for her and if in fact this is my Cindy I am sad to hear about her daughter. I know of no other person better to be in her daughters corner than her.She is a GODLY woman.Wouldn’t it be wonderful if in fact this was my Cindy.

46. Dennis says

Two things to do so as to live victoriously in this broken world: trust God and believe His word in the face of dissapointment!

47. Joy says

Wow, this is truly amazing. These verses helped me so much and gave me a lot of peace. I am a senior in high school, and this summer God changed my life by giving me the opportunity to go on a mission trip to the Philippines. Upon coming back, I felt such a strong calling to be a missionary. I had never felt so strongly about anything in life. I prayed about it extensively and felt like God was calling me to take a Gap Year instead of going straight to college. I would live out of the country for 9 months, giving that year up to God and letting Him speak to me and show me where He specifically wants to serve him. Just a few days ago, God closed that door. So im not going on a mission trip next year. I have to apply to college now and completely change everything of how I think of my future and next year. I have never been more disappointed and honestly angry at God. I dont understand why he said no to that, but I’m trying to have faith that even greater things are in store for me.

Thank you so much for those verses. God Bless.

48. Megan says

I just read this post last Monday night (December 1st) after searching “What does God say to do when I’m disappointed?” online. I just want to say a quick thank you for your insightful thoughts and comments about disappointment, along with the inspiring Bible verses you chose to back up your points. I’ve been wrestling with God a lot lately, and one of the big things regards disappointment. During my time reading this blog post and journaling about my disappointment, I received a revelation from God directly about my disappointment; a complete answer that I have been searching for for about eight years. Praise God! Thank you for your help on my journey. :)

49. David says

Thanking God for you Tara, you’ve helped me and many others on here.. It’s about 1:25am, and I probably won’t be going to sleep anytime soon, but I definitely needed to see this.. I’ve had one thing after another, but I’ve kept optimistic because I knew it could be worse, and that God will prevail. But I had something happen tonight that really was a mega-punch with spikes right to my chest with someone who means more to me than anything, but what hurts more is that she’s hurting and doesn’t know what to do.. It made me lose my ways of thinking that God knows exactly what will happen, especially since she has such strong faith and it just consumed her in pain so quickly.. It made me forget that it’s all a part of his plan, and to not worry about it. But I looked up “verses” and before I could type anymore, I clicked on the first one in the search bar. After that search was done, the first thing that popped up I clicked on, and it lead to this. And it’s what I need to hear.. Thank you so much!! Even though some people may not check the comments, I had read each individual comments, and I’m praying for everyone tonight! everyone have a great night/day! Don’t forget, every day is truly a blessed gift from god himself, live it to its max and give thanks to God!

50. Jocelyn says

Gn. I went online looking for anything that could help me with any Bible verses to help with disappointments. This was listed as #1 or #2 in the Google search engine. As I began reading, I immediately was happy to learn that this was written by someone who has their own family (children to be exact). My disappointment comes from my child. It is 12:21 am and I found something that belonged to him, in unlikely place that only God could have wanted me to find. Now I am a single parent and my son is a newly turned teen and with that being said, I know that he is at the age of experimenting. He’s a good student grade wise, but can do much better behavior wise. So finding what I did, knocked the breath out of me because I felt “NOT MY CHILD”. Unfortunately, it is my child. I try to instill in him the best I can by walking him through the life I lead, while not leaving out the negative parts to it. I feel like alot of good parents feel which is I am raising him to become a great man. I called a few ppl before finding this blog, that I believe could illeviate what I feel. It didn’t work. Then, I remembered that I am a Christian woman and I need to find a way to call on the Lord and leave what I feel with him. Your blog helped me gather my prayer together and get it out through tears and all. This blog is amazing, motivational and inspirational. I thank you for jumping out of bed and writing it. The verse I love the most is when you stated that all things are possible through God. You are absolutely right. God has our whole life planned out, so he prepared for my disappointment, but I’m also sure that he planned for my JOY that is coming. I love my son and together he is going to make it through as long as I keep the faith and hope, pray and there are faithful people like you weird amazing blogs like this one. Thank you so very much. This really helped me more than you will ever know.

51. Megan says

I am so thankful that the Lord brought me to read your words. They helped me to understand that my self disappointment is ok, but I must learn to take it as a lesson and give my worries to the Lord. I received my ACT scores and felt very disappointed that they were not what I thought they would be. My parents were disappointed and I was disappointed in myself. I started to question God’s plan for me. Now after reading your words I have found a self peace within myself and I am so thankful!

52. Leah says

Hello Tara,

I’m a senior in high school and just stumbled upon this post like many others, by typing in a plead to google asking for help on self disappointment. I knew I was searching for something christian related, but was blown away by the impact your words held for me. Unlike many of the other people who have commented, my disappointment comes from a poor decision I made on new years regarding underage drinking. To say the least, I don’t think anyone will be more disappointed in me than I am in myself. And when I read the ending when you said something along the lines of God was using you to write this post because the person reading was meant to be reading it, I couldn’t agree more. I know the decisions I made were wrong and the people that look up to me can still look up to me, but I am still struggling with looking up to myself. So thank you so very much for jumping out of bed to write this, because with out, I would still be sitting on my bed drowning in my self pity and pit of despair. I’m going to go forward and highlight all those verses in my bible and sit in prayer with God. Thank you so very much! †

53. Jordan-Danielle says

I know this comment is extremely late, and I know you probably won’t even get to see this. But you have no idea how much this touched me. I’m so glad that God was able to use you for this, because I really needed to read this. It really helps me put my thoughts and emotions into perspective when I deal with disappointments because I’ve been dealing with quite a few lately. Again thank you so much for this article, I know God has blessed you tremendously for listening to His instructions! God bless you!

54. Bev Martin says

Hi Tara,

I thank you very much for your words – you truely are a godsend.

I stumbled across this page after searching google for a prayer to deal with disappointment/angger after once again receiving a disappointingly low pergformance rating at work, despite consistently exceeding targets and expectations, and often taking time out to help others to achieve.

It is comforting to be reminded that God has a plan for me, and that though others may not appreciate my talents, God will use them for the goodness.

I pray that God gives us all strength to trust in him.

Many thanks

Bev

55. Cayla says

You were right, God’s plan was for me to be reading those words at the very moment I needed them most. Thank you so much for this beautiul reminder.

56. Tracey Dillon says

I just wanted to stop by and let you know that our GOD is good. It’s amazing how he uses us even in the time of our distress. He woke you up to write this and you probably had know idea that even 2 years later that it would help someone. I recently received some painful news and today I was just search for something to hold onto. I googled scriptures to help with disappointment and this blog came up. I’ve read it a couple of times and also bookmarked it to refer back to later. I just want you to know that you have reminded me of some things that I needed reminding of today. I will hold these scriptures close to my heart and prayerfully seek God’s face during this time. Thank you for being obedient to His command.
    Be blessed

57. Martha C. says

You are a gift to so many who needed – need exactly what you wrote, like me. Thank you for listening and responding and ending up helping so many. Blessings dear one. MC

58. Jalyn says

Thank you so much for this post. I’m a recent college graduate but it feels like everything is a a stand still. I have been looking for a job and the no’s are rolling in. Actually so much now,that I’m getting used to it. I felt so discourage and frustrated. I’m Actually crying as I’m typing now. This post was an eye opener for me. You are definitely a blessing.

59. rea says

I am going through a lot right now and reading this is like ‘this is what God is telling me’.. I felt like I was talking to God. Thank you Tara.. God bless us all.

60. virginia says

thank you very much ,now i understand when you say,Dissapointment is not meant to define you life must go on ,you can’t stay angry forever …..

61. Andrei Isayeu says

Jesus has set me free from all addictions that I have been struggling with, all my life. Jesus made my broken heart into a brand new heart and He filled my heart with His love, joy, peace, grace, and freedom from sin. Jesus poured so much love upon me that I can’t even explain to you because His love is what I desperately needed and was looking for in all of my life. I realized that I was desperately in need of Someone Who can love me so much unconditionally. I pray that God would heal those people who need healing, deliver those who need to be delivered, save those who need to be saved, change those who need to be changed, protect those who need to be protected, feed those who are hungry, give a clean water to those who are thirsty, give clothing and shelter to those who don’t have anything to wear and encourage those who are discouraged. Jesus showed me the most Perfect and Unconditional Love that Healed me, Changed me, Delivered me, Cleansed me from all the junk that Satan has put on me. I was in chains of sin for all my life until Jesus came into my life and broke all the chains of guilt, shame, depression, anger, bullying, fear, loneliness, curses, and much more. I prayed the following prayer, by confessing with my mouth that Jesus is Lord and believing in my heart that God has raised Him (Jesus) from the dead. I believed that Jesus is a Son of God and God because Jesus came to this earth and became like us people so it would be much easier for us to understand that how desperately we need Salvation.

> There is Power in the name of Jesus to crush and break every chain!

> There is Power in the Holy Blood of Jesus to heal all diseases!

> There is Power in the name of Jesus to change anybody from inside out! May God’s Kingdom come!

> May God’s will be done!

> Jesus said in John Chapter 14: Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

My Prayer of Repentance: Dear Jesus Christ, I come to you at this time. I realize that I am a sinner and I really need your forgiveness. I caused you so much pain and distressed you many times. Please, I ask you to forgive me all of my sins that I have ever committed in my life. I thank you so much for all that you did for me by giving me Salvation and Eternal Life. I Honor you Heavenly Father for giving your only begotten Son Jesus for punishment, and death 2000 years ago. I Glorify You Heavenly Father for raising your son Jesus Christ from the dead on the 3rd day. I receive you Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Savior. Please come into my life and into my heart and change me. I believe in everything that says in Your Holy Word, my Savior and my Lord Jesus Christ. I make a decision from today to fully commit myself to you and to serve you with all of my life. Amen.

Result after I prayed Prayer of Repentance: As soon as I prayed this prayer above, God changed me the way that no one could change me. God poured His love upon me in the way that I can’t measure. THAT IS WHEN I BECAME A BORN AGAIN PERSON!

62. SIMSON says

WOW THIS IS SO SUPER AWESOME THANK U VERY MUCH AND AM SURE WITH NO DOUGHTS THAT I WILL BE AT PEACE AND WILL PUT ALL THOSE STEPS AT WORK AND WILL STUDY THOSE SCRIPTRS ALL OVER AGAIN TO BUILD MY FAITH MORE STRONGER

63. Kate says

Tara, thank you so much for posting this. I just read this article (Feb. 19, 2015) and I can’t believe that this has been written/published almost 3 years ago. I have had some personal struggles lately, wondering what God’s plan is for me. A year ago, I went through a really bad time from a relationship that I was involved in and my life has been better than ever since I cut those ties and began living for God, but lately within the past several months I have been having some minor bumps in the road with some things that have happened in my life. I’m struggling right now what God is trying to teach me and struggling with the destiny God has planned for me and how I am supposed to get there. This post reminded me of some verses I need to apply to my everyday life. Thank you! It’s amazing how much this article still has impact on people from a few years later….God was using you for his God-given purpose for you, thanks for brightening up my day! :)

64. Arlene says

My husband shared this website with me after I was devastated about failing my nursing boards. I’m prayful that these scriptures will help me avoid depression and bring me to a place in God where I need to be.

65. Leoma91 says

These words gave me so much strength as well as what God did to me. I’m in His plan even in this time of disappointment. Thank Him.

66. Connie Montero says

I LOVE this post. I LOVE these scriptures. I got food poisoning on Saturday night. Went to the hospital on Monday …struggled all week physically. Just had my first solid meal and it’s Thursday. I had big plans this week with work. I was looking forward to ending my month strong. Funny thing is, I thought God was on the same page. Lol. I really believed He was gonna keep blessing me. Well, after reading your post I realized He has. This week as I’ve suffered through this horrible bout of food poisoning, some amazing things happened. I experienced some life lessons. I had been reading about being thankful and grateful for all of Gods blessing inspite of any negative situation. So I found myself praising God and being thankful at the worst of it all. I also had an opportunity to talk to my sister about God, it was such perfect timing. Totally God. I also came to realize that although I am not an alcoholic I don’t want to drink more than 2 glasses of anything alcohol. I don’t like having a foggy mind, I lose focus and I don’t get to talk about God. Saturday afternoon I was singing praises in my car on my way to a birthday party and I was excited for what God had in store…I wondered who I would be able to talk to about God and how AMAZING He is. After about 3 drinks I just was in la la land. Then, later that night I ate some tacos that were out waaaaay too long. The worst food poisoning I have ever had in my life. I could have wallowed in my misery all week. But instead I looked to God. What could I learn from this? How can I be of any service to anyone? Then, he brought me my sister who never wants to talk to me and who doesn’t believe in God. It was stuff that was in my heart for quite some time. I knew she would benefit from hearing but also knew I couldn’t force any words on her either. I really couldn’t see how we could ever have this conversation for so many reasons. But in the quite of the day, with no kids around, she came to me. I was able to tell her all the things pressing on my heart for her. It was totally God. Next He revealed to me that I need to lay back on the alcohol. And throughout this horrible sickness, every time I wanted to feel sorry for myself, I thanked God that I was alive and for being so great. I know this stuff builds character. It helps you to stretch and grow and not stay stagnant. As I am sitting day 4 after having my first solid meal I was reflecting on my week. Today is the last day of production at my job and I sure could have had an awesome month had I worked the past 3 days. I felt disappointed. So I decided to check out what the bible says about disappointment because frankly I felt a little guilty feeling this way. Your post really confirmed and brought to light everything God did for me this week. It wasn’t a disaster week. What the devil intended for bad, God made for my good. I really have been blessed this week. I am grateful for this week. Disappointed? Well, ya, it would have been nice to not be sick and be crowned a top producer at my job but I will take the priceless lessons God has taught me over a worldly crown any day. After all, He is gearing me up to do His will. Whatever it takes.

67. Marcus says

I am 17 .I am really disappointed by my O levels results and some how felt it’s the end of life but I now feel better reading your post thanks a lot. …

68. Marvin says

Thank you for obeying God’s voice and writing about this. It has really blessed my heart. I was so low and didn’t know what step to take. Reading these scriptures and your testimony has really blessed my heart. May God continue to use you for His glory alone.

Peace & Blessings,
    Marvin (Nairobi, Kenya)

69. Beverly says

I’m a pastor’s wife in a small, struggling church. Lots of disappointments and frustrations come with the territory. Thank you for your honesty, transparency and simplicity. I appreciate the scriptural reminders of our faithful Father’s promises to us. I am so thankful God put your link in my Google search this morning!! Blessings to you.

70. Barbie says

This was so beautiful in all of its honesty and very much needed. You wrote the words I’ve felt but haven’t been able to find. Thank you!

71. Deb says

I needed this. Over the years i have build my hopes up for different situations- birthdays, christmas, kids and the dreams I envisioned for them only to be disappointed. They are now grown and on their own. My 56th birthday is on the horizon. I am not expecting anything from the kids but my husband told me a couple weeks ago that we would go out of town for my day. I was excited as he NEVER plans anything. Well today, i was told that we are not going from Friday as planned. Maybe we would go on Sat. I was crushed.Tears began to well up in my eyes and I said not again. Why are you surprised. This is nothing new. You see over the years everything was put on hold for the kids and $$ was tight.When he decides to get me a gift it is usually something I do not really care for. It either sits in the closet or gets donated. Now we are in a position to do some things but disappointments keep coming my way.
    The Lord led me to your site and as I write i am becoming calm. Thanks for those scriptures. I will try to keep them in my folder as i know disappointments will come again. God will see me through this one.

72. Dira says

Hi. I just came bake from a weekend retreat and it was wonderful. But, back at home I find myself face with disapointment. And like you and many people , I have been faced with lots of disapointments. Something told me to do a qick search for how the bible tells us to deal with this, so here I am. I have never left a comment on a blog but I just had to. God’s word is truly living. And years after this blog was posted it is still a blessing to all those who read it. So, may the peace of God fill the heart of each of you.

73. Brittany says

I just wanted to say thank you for your words of wisdom. I truly needed all of it, due to the disappointment I am currently experiencing. I pray that the Lord blesses you in a mighty way and give you the desires of your heart according to his will.

Be Bless,

Britt

74. Emma says

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God really used you to talk directly to me. God is so so good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

75. Jasmine says

Tara, and all others,

I am so thankful for how GOD has used your story(ies) to minister to us all. We are a technology based cloud of witnesses to see how He will move and also to provide support and prayer for each other. I’m glad that in my own disappointment and frustration, I could read this post (and comments) and be encouraged by you.

Please know that you are in my prayers. I appreciate your obedience, and I pray that as you have shared your story and been poured out and emptied for His sake, that the LoRd will fill you back up in ways you can’t imagine for all of the good and truth you have sown.

With Love,
    Jasmine

76. Amanda says

I just wanted to say thank you. I needed this more than ever and it bright tears to my eyes the confirmation this passage brought to me. I’m grateful for your obedience in the midst of your own personal struggle because I am a witness to that’s when God frees you most. In the midst of using you to free others, He will free you. We will not live this life Clif of disappointment, but God will love us beyond, in and through it. Thank you my heart is beyond full because I am overwhelmed by His love right now. Thank you, may you’ve blessed immensely for your simple act of obedience.

77. Sebastian says

I have felt dissapointed of myself, each time more, since a long time now. This versicles, are things that make me step away from this feeling of defeat, and dissapoint, and just, go on, hoping I’ll do it. This one, likes me a lot ….

Psalm 94:17-19American Standard Version (ASV)

17 Unless Jehovah had been my help, My soul had soon dwelt in silence.

18 When I said, My foot slippeth; Thy lovingkindness, O Jehovah, held me up.

19 In the multitude of my thoughts within me Thy comforts delight my soul.

78. Sarah says

Thank you so much for writing this, God really does have a plan for us even through all our misery.

79. Terese says

Just wanted to say how much this helped this morning! Everyone experiences struggles in their life and for the last couple of weeks I’ve been undergoing alot of heartaches and pain. Thank you for taking the time and sharing your words, you’ve made a difference. I hope you continue to be a positive voice!

Thank you!

80. KayE says

I too googled scriptures on disappointment and was bought too this site… For the last 2 years I’ve been trying to get pregnant with no success. I pay my tithes and offering. I’ve fasted, I pray, I read my bible, I believe God, I speak positively about my situation and I’ve gone to several medical professionals to make sure that I’m healthy.. with still no success..
    My biggest struggle is that I have friends that are pregnant and/or those that recently had babies. They like to share their pregnancy news with me.. I’m happy for them yet I’m so sad and disappointed that it’s not me.

Please pray for my strength so that I’ll be able to withstand satan getting in my brain and causing me to not believe that he can do just what he promised.

81. Chris Vara says

I just dealt with disappointment the past week, one week I expected to be my best (graduation) turned to be a week of disappointment. Thank you for allowing God to use you to speak words of life!

82. Carrie Green says

This is for me..I’m going to bookmark this and refer to it as I’m struggling with the disappointments I am facing

83. Shara says

To God be the Glory, Great things he has done. He knew that i would need this today and guided me to your page. Blessings to you and yours and may God continue to make his face shine apon you, be gracious unto you and give you his peace. Amen

I am dealing with anxiety and disappointments these days and that is actually how I found this blog. Anyway thank you for sharing this to the world. I am so familiar with the feeling such this. Thank you again. I can feel my hopes up a bit after reading this. By the way just like you I also share my thoughts through blogging and that is exactly what i am gonna do now..

GOD BLESS YOU ALL GUYS.

85. Amanda says

Thank you for writing this, it was a true blessing and eased my heart tonight. A good reminder that HIS plans far exceed my expectations.

Dear Tara,
    This was so beautifully written and so honest. As I was reading it I was reminded of a difficult disappointment I went through almost 4 years ago. So much of what you wrote rang true. Currently I am a Pregnancy Counselor for an adoption agency & I work with women who are making the heroic choice of placing their children for adoption despite the pain and it disappointment it causes them. I plan to share this excerpt of your blog with them in the hopes it will help them navigate a difficult time in their life and to find hope in what God can do if they’ll let him. So thank you!

87. Katie says

I have nothing profound to say just thank you. Thank you for sharing and following God’s leadership. This is a great encouragement to me in what is the hardest and worst time of my life. Disappointment doesn’t even begin to describe how I feel. But your words have reminded me that God always has something good around the corner. I do indeed have hope in Him.
    Thank you.

88. Todd says

I found this site tonight after searching in the web for something to help me overcome my anxious fears and disappointments in myself. I sold our home recently out of discontent thinking a “better” home or bigger yard would satisfy me. I’ve come to a crashing realization that I have let down my family and myself. I wish I could take it all back and move back to our home we raised the family. I catch myself dreaming about the old home and making comparisons that are driving me nuts. I am depressed and overwhelmed of the dumb move I made. It has caused me to be withdrawn from my family and feeling like I let everyone down. Your post has helped me realize that Gods ways are higher than mine and my mistakes can still be used of God. I still have heavy remorseful feelings for moving the family and get really down with a heavy heart so much that my once cheerful disposition is no longer there. I hope and pray that these feelings will go away. Please pray for me