Does this look good or what?
My omelet rolls normally roll up a little tighter, but this one is so full of toppings that it folded in thirds instead of rolling up.
My children cook with me every time I go into the kitchen. It’s just how we do things here.
When I said we were having a broccoli omelet roll, both girls came running. Grace wanted to crack the eggs (I wince but let her), and Allie wants to help with anything.
Here’s AllieÂ helping spread toppings on the eggs. She said over and over,Â Helping! Helping!Â
You may recognize this recipe. It’s an update of an old favorite recipe (the omelet roll up).
- 4 ounces cream cheese (I use low fat or neufchÃ¢tel, and you'd never know the difference.)
- ¾ cup 1% milk
- 2 tablespoons flour (I used Gluten Free Mama's Almond Blend Flour, but you can use whatever all-purpose flour you like.)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 12 eggs, whisked together in a large bowl
- 1 pound mild sausage, cooked and drained
- 2 cups BenefortÃ© broccoli, steamed and chopped
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms, sautÃ©ed (I didn't sautÃ© them for our first attempt, and they were too big and bulky and also made the finished egg a little watery on top. SautÃ© and drain them first.)
- 2 cups shredded cheese (we used a combination of cheddar and mozzarella)
- Preheat your oven to 375.
- To soften the cream cheese, microwave it for 30 seconds in a glass bowl. When it's done, whisk it to give it a smoother consistency.
- Add the milk to the cream cheese a little at a time, whisking it in. When the cream cheese and milk are combined well, add in the flour and salt.
- Add the whisked eggs to the cream cheese mixture and whisk until well blended.
- Sprinkle some water on a jelly roll pan, and line it with a piece of parchment paper. (The water will make the parchment paper stick to the pan instead of sliding around.)
- Pour the egg mixture into the parchment paper and smoosh the paper around as necessary to fill the corners of the pan.
- Add the sausage, broccoli, and mushrooms on top of the egg mixture. Don't add the cheese yet!
- Bake the eggs for about 30 minutes.
- As soon as the eggs come out of the oven, sprinkle them with shredded cheese.
- Next, roll up the omelet. The pan and the egg will be very, very hot (approximately 375 degrees), so you have to be careful not to burn yourself. Use the parchment paper to begin rolling it at one end of the pan, and keep turning it over (peeling back the paper, of course), until you've rolled up the whole thing. Try to get the seam on the bottom so the roll stays rolled up as it cools.
- Let the omelet roll stand for 10 to 15 minutes, til the cheese melts and the whole thing cools slightly.
- Use a sharp knife to slice the egg roll and serve.
The omelet is loaded with toppings, including some gorgeous BenefortÃ© broccoli. The broccoli is already washed, trimmed, and ready to use, which saves us time and makes it easy for my kids to help in preparation.
Available at Sam’s Club nationwide, BenefortÃ© broccoli isÂ grown byÂ independentÂ growers in California and Arizona and packaged in the USA. You can be proud of your produce!
See what I mean about the mushrooms, though? If I’dÂ sautÃ©edÂ them first, they wouldn’t have been quite so bulky.
As I mentioned above, I made my omelet roll with Â BenefortÃ© BroccoliÂ from the Eat Smart brand. Broccoli is one of the most nutrient-dense foods known; it offers an incredibly high level of nutrition for a very low calorie count.
BenefortÃ© broccoli is even more of a good thing,Â offering improved nutritional benefits to help support a healthy and active lifestyle.
Win a $50 Samâ€™s Club gift card!
BenefortÃ© broccoli is available nationwide at Samâ€™s Club and select grocery stores, so BenefortÃ© is providing a $50 Samâ€™s Club gift card toÂ oneÂ lucky Feels Like Home reader!
To be entered for a chance to win,Â leave a comment stating your favorite broccoli recipe from the BenefortÃ© website.Â You can leave the link to it if youâ€™d like.
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries from the following entry methods:
a) Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
b) Tweet about this promotion and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
This sweepstakes is open to US Residents age 18 or older. Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. You have 72 hours to get back to me, otherwise a new winner will be selected.
This sweepstakes runs from 2/13 â€“ 2/20/13.
Compensation, giveaway prize, and product samples were received to share my honest opinion as a BenefortÃ© Broccoli Ambassador.
© 2013 – 2014, Tara Ziegmont. All rights reserved.