Life goes on even when you’re sad or scared or lost. It just keeps going. The kids and the cats and the goldfish and the Sea Monkeys and the turtle all need to be fed. The house needs to be cleaned, and the laundry needs to be washed. Joe has to go to work and I have to do my work at home, and life just keeps on going on.
It’s hard to transition between that and smiley-faced potatoes.
This week, I got a bag of McCain Smiles to try. The first time we had them, we served them with roasted brussels sprouts and ham. The Smiles are crisp on the outside and mashed potatoes on the inside; they’re not exactly what I expected. (I was expecting tater tot-like filling on the inside.) Joe and I liked them, but the girls weren’t big fans.
The second time we ate Smiles, we made a recipe from my 10 Things to Cook in a Muffin Tin post. The Smiles were perfect for the Eggs-tra Special Breakfast Cups because they’re about the same size as a muffin cup. Instead of piling tater tots in the well, I just dropped one Smile into each. When I turned the cups out onto a plate, the little smiley face was facing up. It was lost on the girls, but I liked it.
The breakfast cups overall were a hit. We’ll make them again soon.
- 12 McCain Smiles
- 2 cups diced ham
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 large eggs
- Spices, salsa, or omelet add-ins (Make sure you chop whatever you're using. Remember that it has to fit into a muffin tin.)
- Place one Smile potato into each muffin well.
- Top the potato with diced ham and shredded cheese.
- Beat 12 eggs together, and stir in any seasonings you prefer. I like garlic and taco seasoning or Italian seasoning or a little dill. You can also add anything you'd put in an omelet at this point.
- Divide the egg mixture between the 12 muffin cups.
- Bake a 350 for 10 minutes or until the eggs are firm.
- To serve, top with your favorite egg topping - A1 sauce, ketchup, Tabasco, or whatever.
McCain’s is providing coupons so that 2 lucky Feels Like Home readers will get 5 packages each!
To be entered for a chance to win, leave a comment stating which variety you’d choose.
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
a) Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
b) Tweet about this promotion and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
This sweepstakes is open to US Residents age 18 or older. Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. You have 72 hours to get back to me, otherwise a new winner will be selected.
This sweepstakes runs from 11/12 – 11/19/12.
I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for McCain Foods. I received a sample to facilitate my review as well as a promotional item as a thank-you for participating.
© 2012 – 2013, Tara Ziegmont. All rights reserved.