This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy for more information.
Joe and I are always on the lookout for our next favorite recipe. We try all sorts of things, including crockpot meals and meals prepared in the microwave.
Our 2-year-old oven broke a couple of weeks ago, so we’ve been using the crockpot and microwave more than ever since then.
Yes, I called a repairman, but he didn’t called back. I guess I should call someone else tomorrow.
We’ve become very resourceful where our microwave is concerned.
And also? In the middle of a heat wave, the microwave is a very smart appliance to use. It doesn’t heat up our kitchen.
A few weeks ago, a friend at BlogFrog asked if I’d participate in a project with King’s Hawaiian bread. I’d never heard of King’s Hawaiian bread before that, but I was happy to try a recipe from their website, so I agreed.
The recipe I chose was Green Chile Corn Bake, but you know we can’t leave a recipe alone, so it became Jalapeño Chicken Corn Baked-in-the-Microwave at our house.
- 1 16-ounce loaf King’s Hawaiian Sweet Bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 10-ounce cans Mexicorn, drained
- 2-3 jalapeño peppers (halved, seeded, and membranes removed), chopped
- ½ cup red onion, chopped
- 1 can of sliced black olives
- 1 17-ounce can of shredded chicken
- 6 large eggs
- 3¼ cup 1% milk
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 24 ounces prepared salsa
- 1 8-ounce container of low fat sour cream
- 2 limes
- Place half of bread cubes into a greased 9x13x2-inch pan. (Since we were making this in the microwave, Joe used a differently sized pan. It’s the Deep Covered Baker from the Pampered Chef, and its dimensions are 9x12x5.)
- Sprinkle corn, jalapeño, onions, black olives, and shredded chicken evenly over the bread. Top with half of the cheese and the remaining bread.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, and seasonings. Pour the mixture evenly over the whole pan. Gently press bread down into the pan to ensure it’s covered with the mixture. Top with remaining cheese.
- Microwave for 25 minutes or cover with foil and bake at 325 for 30 minutes. (Our pan has a lid, so we used that instead of foil.)
- Remove the lid and microwave an additional 10 minutes or bake another 15 to 20 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center of the pan comes out mostly clean.
- Note: This dish can be prepared, covered, and refrigerated overnight. Bake 45 minutes covered and 15-20 minutes uncovered.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- To serve, top with fresh-squeezed lime juice, salsa, and sour cream.
What is your favorite dish to share with the family? Comment below and you’ll be entered to win a $200 Grocery gift card from King’s Hawaiian.
© 2012 – 2013, Tara Ziegmont. All rights reserved.