Here’s what my girls are listening to this week:
- On the Banks of Plum Creek (from the Little House Box Set I got for Christmas when I was 8 or 9) – During the past week, Grace was sick and throwing up in the middle of the night (on more than one occasion). We read so much that we finished Little House in the Big Woods, breezed straight through Little House on the Prairie, and are now partway through On the Banks of Plum Creek. Plum Creek is the book on which the tv series was based.
- How I Became a Pirate – We love this series. It starts with Pirates Don’t Change Diapers, and this is the sequel. Joe really likes them, too.
- Sunsets Of The West – Grace found this little gem at the library. She squealed, MOM! It’s Mary and Laura and Pa and Pete and Bright! In their WAGON! LOOK! Fortunately, it was story hour, and all of the kids were loud. It’s not about Mary and Laura at all, but about settlers moving west in covered wagons. It’s a great book.
- Voices of Ancient Egypt – We are embarking on an ancient Egypt unit. It’s nothing scripted or pre-planned, just some questions that we want to answer and some fun activities we want to do. Because we didn’t have any books on the subject, we raided the public library’s Egypt section. This book is nice; it’s a series of poems that describe the lives of ordinary people at the time.
- Ms. Frizzle’s Adventures: Ancient Egypt – This is by far Grace’s favorite Egypt book. It’s our first Mrs. Frizzle story. She’s quirky and laughable; Grace pours over each page and soaks it all in. This book has led to a lot of conversing about ancient Egypt. Or it would if we weren’t so busy talking about Mary and Laura. Now that I think about it, we should be studying the mid-nineteenth century instead of ancient Egypt. We may switch gears next week.
- The Great Dog Wash – Obviously, this isn’t about Egypt.
- Real Princesses Treat Everyone Like Royalty & God Made Princesses in All Shapes and Sizes – Okay, so these aren’t books, but my girls are listening to them this week. They are adorable DVDs about Gigi, God’s Little Princess.
What I’m reading this week:
- Sewing in No Time: 50 Step-by-step Weekend Projects Made Easy – I’ve been inspired by all of our Laura Ingalls Wilder reading. I have fabric all over the place, and my sewing machine is dusted off and ready to go.
- Seek God First – This is the Bible study that goes with the group I’m leading at my church.
- Life Application Study Bible (NLT) – I love this Bible. I use it for reading and for studying.
- Steady Days: A Journey Toward Intentional, Professional Motherhood – I’m really liking this. I combined the schedule I made from Amy Andrews’ book with the Steady Routine that Jamie suggests. I haven’t started using it, though. The implementation may be tricky.
I received a review copy of Real Princess Treat Everyone Like Royalty and God Made Princesses in All Shapes and Sizes. This post contains affiliate links. Photo copyright Ree Drummond. Used with permission.
© 2012, Tara Ziegmont. All rights reserved.