This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy for more information.
I was a vegetarian for more than 10 years. I loved being a vegetarian.
I eat meat now because it’s easier to eat what my family eats. It’s easier to eat a balanced diet with meat in the picture.
So anyway. When I was in college, I was a vegetarian, and I ate in whatever meatless options the dining hall served. Penn State’s dining halls have really great vegetarian and vegan options. I met a variety of awesome foods including BBQ seitan (so good!) and stir fry with peanut sauce.
I was dubious about peanut sauce, but once I tried it? I was in love!
A few weeks ago, Joe found this recipe for vegetable stir fry with peanut sauce and, knowing I love peanut sauce, he fixed it right up. And of course, I loved it.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 small head of broccoli, chopped
- 2 cups cauliflower, chopped
- ¼ of a small head of cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 8 ounces carrots, cut into thin sticks
- 16 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pound extra firm tofu or protein of your choice (chicken, beef, pork, egg, whatever)
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons garlic-flavored rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⅛ tablespoons brown sugar
- a few drops of hot sauce, optional
- ½ cup chopped peanuts, optional
- 1 cup basmati rice, uncooked (basmati is my favorite. Use brown rice or whatever you like best.)
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- In order to make the tofu brown, you’ll have to press it lightly. Drain the liquid, wrap it in a couple of paper towels, and press it gently between your two hands. More liquid should come out. After it’s mostly dry, cut into bite-sized cubes. If you’re using meat, cut it into thin strips.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a wok or very large skillet. Saute the tofu, onions, and garlic until the tofu is brown and crispy all over. Try not to break it up into tofu crumbs, unless you prefer tofu crumbs in your recipe.
- Add the rest of vegetables except for the mushrooms. Saute for five minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for another minute or two, until the mushrooms begin to soften.
- In a small bowl, combine the peanut butter, hot water, vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, and hot sauce. Pour sauce over stir fry. Simmer for two or three minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Serve over rice. Sprinkle chopped peanuts over each serving.
© 2012 – 2013, Tara Ziegmont. All rights reserved.