This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy for more information.
This is one of those recipes that I’m ashamed to post. It’s too easy to count as a recipe.
Last week, I traveled to Utah to participate in some staff meetings for AboutOne. While I was there, I learned of my coworkers’ affinity for a certain flavor of non-dairy creamer.
Not a coffee drinker, I would never have tried the creamer. Working remotely, I would never have become aware of my friends’ obsession for the stuff. I laughed as a local coworker shuttled a visiting coworker around Bountiful, Utah, in search of the magical flavor.
I could not find any hot chocolate mix in our otherwise splendid hotel (free chocolate chip cookies at the front desk 24 hours a day!), or I might have tried the creamer myself.
Having forgotten all about the peppermint mocha creamer, I spied a display of hot chocolate and mini marshmallows at the grocery store after church yesterday.
I found the cheapest variety of milk chocolate cocoa, grabbed a bag of mini marshmallows, and headed for the dairy case. I found a couple of different brands of peppermint mocha creamer, so I picked the cheapest one of those, too.
We always do something to make lunch special on Sundays. Yesterday, it was the peppermint hot chocolate.
While I boiled water, Joe emptied one hot chocolate packet into each of our mugs. Grace filled the mugs part way with mini marshmallows, and I poured in the water.
After the mix was dissolved, I added creamer to each cup. I don’t have any idea how much; I just poured until the cup was full.
My first sip was tentative. I thought I didn’t like the concoction. A second sip followed, and then a third. I liked it. I daresay it was delicious.
Trying hard to set a good example, I stopped at one mug full.
I think after the kids are in bed, I’ll have another.
- Boiling water
- Hot chocolate mix (my mom makes a great homemade mix, but I bought some)
- Mini marshmallows
- Peppermint Mocha non-dairy creamer
- Vanilla vodka or peppermint schnapps (optional. I can’t drink because of a couple of my medicines, but I think this would make an awesome, grown up drink.)
- Candy cane, unwrapped (I didn’t think of this when we were guzzling our hot chocolate, but a candy cane stirrer would be a fun and tasty addition.)
- Empty a packet of hot cocoa into a large mug. Add a handful of mini marshmallows.
- Pour boiling water into the mug until the mug is about ¾ full.
- Stir until the cocoa mix is dissolved.
- Pour in creamer (and alcohol, if you’re using it).
- Drop in a candy cane, stir, and serve.
© 2011 – 2013, Tara Ziegmont. All rights reserved.