This is one of those recipes that I’m ashamed to post. It’s too easy to count as a recipe.
Last week, I traveled to Utah to participate in some staff meetings for AboutOne. While I was there, I learned of my coworkers’ affinity for a certain flavor of non-dairy creamer.
Not a coffee drinker, I would never have tried the creamer. Working remotely, I would never have become aware of my friends’ obsession for the stuff. I laughed as a local coworker shuttled a visiting coworker around Bountiful, Utah, in search of the magical flavor.
I could not find any hot chocolate mix in our otherwise splendid hotel (free chocolate chip cookies at the front desk 24 hours a day!), or I might have tried the creamer myself.
Having forgotten all about the peppermint mocha creamer, I spied a display of hot chocolate and mini marshmallows at the grocery store after church yesterday.
I found the cheapest variety of milk chocolate cocoa, grabbed a bag of mini marshmallows, and headed for the dairy case. I found a couple of different brands of peppermint mocha creamer, so I picked the cheapest one of those, too.
We always do something to make lunch special on Sundays. Yesterday, it was the peppermint hot chocolate.
While I boiled water, Joe emptied one hot chocolate packet into each of our mugs. Grace filled the mugs part way with mini marshmallows, and I poured in the water.
After the mix was dissolved, I added creamer to each cup. I don’t have any idea how much; I just poured until the cup was full.
My first sip was tentative. I thought I didn’t like the concoction. A second sip followed, and then a third. I liked it. I daresay it was delicious.
Trying hard to set a good example, I stopped at one mug full.
I think after the kids are in bed, I’ll have another.
- Boiling water
- Hot chocolate mix (my mom makes a great homemade mix, but I bought some)
- Mini marshmallows
- Peppermint Mocha non-dairy creamer
- Vanilla vodka or peppermint schnapps (optional. I can't drink because of a couple of my medicines, but I think this would make an awesome, grown up drink.)
- Candy cane, unwrapped (I didn't think of this when we were guzzling our hot chocolate, but a candy cane stirrer would be a fun and tasty addition.)
- Empty a packet of hot cocoa into a large mug. Add a handful of mini marshmallows.
- Pour boiling water into the mug until the mug is about ¾ full.
- Stir until the cocoa mix is dissolved.
- Pour in creamer (and alcohol, if you're using it).
- Drop in a candy cane, stir, and serve.
© 2011 – 2013, Tara Ziegmont. All rights reserved.