8 Ways to Make Your Home More Comfortable for Your Husband

This week’s Honoring the Man They Call Daddy theme is setting the stage. What can we do to make our homes more welcoming and more comfortable for our husbands?

I wasn’t sure where to start, so I asked Joe what that would look like.

“Uh, I dunno,” he answered.honoring daddy

Not satisfied with that answer, I pressed, and he said, “I don’t really need too much. A little pampering, maybe. A foot massage.” Here’s what else he said (plus a few things I added in on his behalf).

1. Greet him with a smile and a smooch when he walks in the door. When I asked Joe what would make our home more welcoming to him, he grinned and said, “Well, if no one was screaming when I opened the door, that would be a good start.”
    The last week or two have been that rough, Dear Reader.
    Then he said, “It would be nice if everyone could smile at me and say hello.” You know what? That would be nice. I greet strangers with a smile and a kind word, so why not greet my husband that way?
    Why not, indeed.
    There have been many days when I didn’t greet him at all, let alone greeting him kindly.
  2. Clean it up. The stereotype is that men will live in filth, but I think they notice when the house is tidy and neat or if it’s a complete wreck.
    We had a discussion about this not long ago because Grace had been strewing her toys all over the living room just before he came home. Even though I picked up the toys three or four or five times every day, the only thing that mattered to him was that they were all over the place when he came home from work.
    Now, I let the toys lay in the morning, and I make a concerted effort to clean them up just before I expect him to arrive home.
  3. Have dinner waiting when he gets home. When Joe said this, I gave him a stern look. I almost said, “Seriously? You must be kidding. I am working from home and taking care of these two needy children, and you want me to cook, too?”
    I refrained.
    I’ll try to do this, but I can’t make any promises.
  4. Keep snacks and drinks that he likes on hand and protect them from the children. I may not be hopeful about making dinner for him every night, but I sure can have snacks that he likes in the cupboard. String cheese? Check. Tortilla chips? Got ‘em. Salsa? Yep.
  5. Kick the children out of his chair. There is a chair in our living room in which Joe has always liked to sit. He sat in that chair before we were married, before he lived here. There’s nothing special about it; it’s rather old and shabby.
    But he likes it.
    And.
    So does Gracie.
    They fight over the chair, my strong-willed girlie and my people-pleasing husband. I’m going to step in and keep Grace out of it when he’s home.
  6. Make room for his hobbies. Joe loves to do three things at night, after the kids are in bed. He likes to play college football on his Play Station. He likes to play a basketball-related board game. He likes to watch tv shows.
    Out of respect for my kind and generous husband, I make sure he has enough space and time to enjoy them.
  7. Turn off the lights and burn some candles. Joe would never admit this, but he loves candles. When we met, he had all sorts of candles around his house. He would love it if we ate dinner or watched tv or played a board game by candlelight.
  8. Give him the remote. Joe likes to have the remote. If it’s that easy to make him happy, I’m delighted to give it to him.

Go see what these bloggers had to say about Setting the Stage for Dad –

Enhanced by Zemanta

© 2011, Tara Ziegmont. All rights reserved.

Comments

1. Laurie says

I love this list! And I’m happy to see that I’m already doing most of them some of the time – ha! I am going to use your words to inspire that to become ALL of them ALL of the time! Thanks so much! Pinning it and passing it on…

2. Jamie @ See Jamie blog says

I think item #1 is so often ignored! I do make an effort to do this because it is a big deal. I’ll have to ask my husband what else would be on his list.

I love this post, Tara, and I love that it reveals how important it is that we each know our own husbands!  My guy couldn’t care less if there are toys strewn about, but he would be one sad dude if supper weren’t cooked.  :)  I think it is fabulous that your guy loves candlelight- what a lovely way to make time together special… even if you’re just playing a video game!  Excellent list.

4. GAHCindy says

You don’t cook dinner for him? I ask this out of complete ignorance: what do you people eat for dinner? We’d never eat if I didn’t do it!

We work to have everyone clean up before dinner. It really helps!

My husband dislikes candlelight immensly (he says that he likes to see what he is eating), so we skip that one at my house.

My husband has been working from home for many years; today is the first day that he left early again. He’s expecting some late nights, so I don’t know what our greetings will look like yet, but I know I’ll have a plate of food in the refrigerator waiting for him for whenever he gets home.

Amen! Great list. I’d add one more: put on some lipstick and run a brush through your hair. Look like you want him to enjoy looking at  you! Like you took care in your appearance. The way we Say Hello is so important because it sets the stage for the whole evening, and lets the kids know how we value our spouses!

Yes, that’s right! Amy from The Finer Things in Life wrote a great post on this topic. She said something along the lines of this – “When I stay in my pajamas all day, I wouldn’t want to come home to me!” It really got me to thinking. I’ve gotten dressed and done my hair (to the extent that you “do” long curly hair) every day since.

Granted, it’s only been two days, but every good habit has to start somewhere, right? :)

We had that exact same conversation when Sean was working outside the home. He asked that we simply acknowledge he was home and look — gasp — happy to see him! Kinda glad to know I’m not the only one!

Amen!  Thanks for posting these important ideas.  We can’t let life get in the way of treating our husbands like the most important person in our lives.

I know! Most of the time, he treats me like the most important person in his life, but I don’t treat him that way. Rather than sitting around and worrying about it, I need to just do things differently.

This series has been really life changing for me. It’s not often that we sit down and think about how to treat our husbands better, you know?