Last Friday, I posted Christmas gift suggestions for preschool girls.
I intentionally left Christmas-themed books and movies off of that list. I like to buy Christmas books and movies before Christmas, when there’s enough time for us to read or watch them over and over in the weeks leading up to Christmas (til we’re completely sick of them).
Still, I wanted to share my favorite Christmas books and Christmas movies with you. I’m very particular when it comes to the media to which Grace is exposed.
So particular that my family and friends make fun of me.
I have high standards – no bad words, no meanness, no taunting, no skimpy clothes, and so on.
The following books and movies are on my approved list.
- Fancy Nancy’s Splendiferous Christmas – I saw this book at Target (for $18) and picked it up from Amazon (for $12). We are huge Fancy Nancy fans, so I know we’ll love the book.
- Dora’s Christmas Carol – This book is the same story as the movie by the same name (below). I like the book because it includes Grace’s favorite scenes from the movie, but it’s quick and easy to read.
- Jan Brett’s Christmas Treasury – We have several of Jan Brett’s books, including The Mitten and The Hat. This treasury includes those and several other stories.
- Frosty the Snowman – This actually comes in a set of 4 or 5 movies, including Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and The Year Without a Santa Claus. I bought this for Joe when we were first dating, and Grace has watched the movies as much as Joe ever did.
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas– This is the original, animated, voiced by Boris Karloff version of the Grinch. It’s the only one I’ve ever watched, and I adore it. I could watch this movie every day of the holiday season and be happy about it.
- Max & Rubyâ€™s Christmas – Grace would watch this year round if I’d allow it.
- Dora’s Christmas Carol Adventure – She’d watch this one year round, too. I like it especially because Swiper learns the spirit of Christmas is giving, not taking, and that’s important for all kids this age to hear.
- The Wonder Pets Save the Reindeer – I love the Wonder Pets. That is all.
- A Very Monkey Christmas – This is a Curious George video that Grace will watch over and over and over again.
- The Santa Clause – When we were in Avalon, New Jersey over Thanksgiving weekend last year, we had a hard time getting Grace to go to sleep in the hotel. This Tim Allen movie was on tv, and we put it on. Grace was enamored. She was so impressed that we found the DVD on the way home, and she watched it weekly for the rest of the Christmas season.
© 2010 – 2013, Tara Ziegmont. All rights reserved.