Grace’s Big Sister Gifts

Grace has been an only child for more than three years.

We get along very well; she’s had all the attention and love she’s ever wanted. Aside from going to work, she has never been with a babysitter.

I have a lot of anxiety about our becoming a family of 4.

I don’t want Grace to feel abandoned. I don’t want her to feel left out or slighted or jealous of the new baby.

I’m sure she will at some point, and that breaks my heart. In my current hormonal state, I get teary eyed even thinking about it.

At the suggestion of my friend, Robyn, I put together a Big Sister Gift to give to her when she comes to the hospital on the baby’s birthday.

big sister gifts

Grace’s Big Sister Gift

A personalized backpack

I chose this backpack because Grace’s favorite colors are pink and purple. I got it from Etsy, and the seller embroidered Grace’s name on the flower flap.

big sister backpack

The backpack is going to be the centerpiece of the gift. Everything else will be tucked inside.

A Big Sister T-shirt

I knew I wanted to include a big sister t-shirt, and I scoured the internet for a few weeks before deciding on one from this Etsy seller. I adore the design, and I think Grace will like it, too.

big sister t-shirt

Of course, ours will say Grace. I ordered a matching little sister onesie for the new baby, but that won’t go into Grace’s bag.

A Big Sister Scrapbook

I found an interactive book called There’s a Brand-New Baby at Our House and . . . I’m the Big Sister! where big sisters can write about their experiences and feelings about the new baby. I am excited about this book because it will give us an excuse to sit down and devote one on one time with Grace after the baby is here.

big sister book

A Big Sister Movie

One of Grace’s preschool friends gave her a Big Sister Dora doll for her third birthday, and she really likes to play with it. I found a Big Sister Dora DVD and book. The book reviews on Amazon weren’t terrific, so I just got the DVD.

Big Sister Dora DVD

Grace loves Dora, so I know this DVD will be a hit.

A Personalized Puzzle, Coloring Books, and Stickers

What kid doesn’t like to see her name splashed all over her stuff?

Grace sure does. Thanks to a recommendation from a friend, I found these personalized items. I think it will be nice to have some big girl things of her own that don’t have anything at all to do with the new baby, just a little surprise to keep her busy at the hospital or while she’s waiting for me to come home.

Big Sister coloring book Big Sister coloring book big sister puzzle big sister stickers

I’m going to throw in a new box of crayons, and I think that will be it.

I don’t want to go overboard, of course.

Ahem.

Enhanced by Zemanta

© 2010 – 2013, Tara Ziegmont. All rights reserved.

Comments

1. Cberberich says

Awww. Hugs to you. Change is hard for everyone, but that doesn’t mean it is necessarily bad. Grace will probably have some days where she is not happy to have a sibling, but I think she will have many more where she is delighted to have a baby and eventually a playmate.

When I had similar feelings before our 2nd was born, a friend of mine pointed out that only the first child gets the chance to be “the only.” Subsequent children never experience that, and they are not missing out. It’s a special time for both you and your first, but that doesn’t mean that she is losing something when it comes to an end.

Best wishes to all of you!

2. Robyn's Online World says

FABULOUS!!!!! She will love it I’m sure! You are going to do great making Grace continue to feel special once baby arrives :-)

I’m really getting excited, especially now that I’m on bed rest. I have more time to sit around and think about it. Everything has arrived now; I just need to put it all together in the backpack. I can’t wait to give it to her!

3. Catherine says

That’s awesome! I remember my “big sister” gift – a coveted Cabbage Patch Doll! I still have her. :-) My little sister got one, too, when SHE became a big sister, but here’s had a decidedly 90s flare to it. :-P I think the most important part of becoming a big sister is getting to participate in the process in an age-appropriate way and getting to be mama’s big helper!

That is awesome! What a great idea to make the big sister feel special!
    Want to know something cute? The Big Sister Dora episode premiered on March 21, 2005 the day I gave birth to my second son and Sam’s grandparents showed it to him on Nick Jr. that day. Its a great episode!

5. Dustin and Katie says

I was so apprehensive about how Ryder would react to the new baby. It had me in tears daily for the last couple of months of pregnancy. Ryder did so much better than I thought he ever would! He has loved his baby sister since day one and we have yet to experience any of the “bad” feelings I was sure he would be feeling after the new baby. I think the big sister gifts are an excellent idea! Ryder’s big brother gift was a new bike the day before we went in to be induced :) We also started filling out a big sibling book during the pregnancy, and it continues on through the first year of baby’s life. He’s always really liked that.

I remember when my baby brother came home from the hospital. My mom had prepared presents for each one of us that were “from” our new baby brother. They were tucked into the foot of his bassinet. It absolutely smoothed the transition for us. : )
    Good luck with the growing family!