We grow some fruit (raspberries, hardy kiwis, and blueberries), but we mostly buy it at a local orchard. This past week, we had a glut of gorgeous fruit, and we needed a way to use it up.
I suggested smoothies, since they are a great way to use up a lot of different things without adding a lot of sugar. And they remind me of dessert, which is always a plus.
For a great smoothie, mix any combination of the ingredients listed below with a scoop or two of ice cream, frozen yogurt, or ice cubes in your blender. Whirl it around just until it’s well blended.
- If your smoothie is too thick, you can add a little water, apple juice, or milk.
- If your smoothie is too thin, add extra ice cream, frozen yogurt, or ice cubes.
- If your smoothie is too tart, add a little fruit juice or honey.
My Top Ten Smoothie Ingredients
- Red raspberries
- Black raspberries
- Smooth peanut butter – just one or two tablespoons
- Orange or grapefruit juice
My Favorite Combos
- Red & black raspberries and blueberries
- It’s cliche, but Grace loves strawberry banana.
- Watermelon, blueberries, and banana
- Strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries
- Peach mango
- Peanut butter and cherries or peanut butter and raspberries
- Banana and orange or grapefruit juice
What are your favorite smoothie combos?
© 2010 – 2013, Tara Ziegmont. All rights reserved.