10 Things to Cook in a Muffin Tin

Of course, you can make muffins and cupcakes in a muffin tin (FYI: any quick bread or cake recipe, even a boxed mix, will make great muffins or cupcakes), and if you’ve been reading recently, you know that I use muffin tins to serve food for Gracie.

But what else can you use them for?

A few of these things are the same as my creative uses for a bundt pan. Why? Because the meal itself is that versatile, and can adapt to almost any container.muffin pan recipes

As with the bundt pan, make sure you grease, wipe with melted butter, or spritz the muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray before you add any ingredients. Otherwise, you might end up with half of your dish stuck to the muffin pan.

10 Foods to Make in a Muffin Pan

1. Single serving meatloaves. You can use a recipe specifically designed for a muffin pan, like Kraft’s Marvelous Mini Meatloaves. Or use your favorite meatloaf recipe. If you do that, make sure to cut the cooking time way back, as much as half. Otherwise, your mini meatloaves will burn. I like muffin meatloaves because the serving size is predetermined. There’s no cutting, unless you’re feeding small people.
  2. Muffin-sized frittatas or omelets. This link is from the American Egg Board, featuring a veggie frittata with peppers, onions, and zucchini, but you could vary the ingredients according to your liking. There’s no reason that you couldn’t make a ham and cheese frittata or even a plain cheese frittata. A muffin-sized frittata is perfectly hand-sized, and easy to eat on the run, by the way.
  3. Eggs-tra special breakfast cups. This is so easy! Put 3 frozen tater tots in each muffin cup. Top with diced ham and shredded cheese. Last, beat 12 eggs (adding spices, salsa, or other seasonings as you prefer), and divide the egg mixture among the cups. Bake at 350 or until the eggs are firm. Top with salsa, ketchup, A1 sauce, or chili sauce. Or don’t top them at all and eat on the run.
  4. Corn mini pies. To make corn mini pies, you whip up a filling of cream cheese and corn, and then stuff it inside an uncooked Grand’s biscuit. Imagine the possibilities – how about a filling of spaghetti sauce and pepperoni? That would make mini strombolis. Or a filling of diced ham and shredded cheese? Or taco meat? Or diced apples, brown sugar, and butter (or your favorite pie filling)? Again, the possibilities are endless, and the results are oh, so tasty.
  5. Freeze 1-cup quantities of homemade chicken or turkey stock. Once they’re frozen, you can pop them out and place in a gallon-sized zip top bag for easier long term storage.
  6. Mandarin orange upside down cakes. Yum! This is a simple recipe. Basically, you combine 1/4 cup of melted butter with 1/2 cup of brown sugar. Divide the mixture between all 12 muffin cups. Then, place one maraschino cherry and 4 mandarin orange slices (patted dry) in each muffin cup. Combine a yellow cake mix with the juice from a jar of mandarin oranges and one egg. Divide the cake batter between the muffin cups. Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes, then immediately turn onto a heat-safe platter. Based on an old recipe from The Pampered Chef. You could make any upside-down cake the same way. Instead of oranges, use pineapple chunks or rings. Or toss pecans or walnuts in the butter-sugar mixture and omit the fruit.
  7. Taco muffins. I think these are so unique, and they are so tasty! We top ours with salsa, cheese, and sour cream.
  8. Individual au gratin potatoes. Slice potatoes very thin. Layer 3 slices of potato, a sprinkle of shredded cheddar cheese, and a sprinkle of sliced green onions. Repeat 5 times or until muffin cup is full. Pour 2 tablespoons of heavy cream over the top. Fill all muffin cups in the same manner, cover with foil, and bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake an additional 20 minutes. Based on a recipe from The Next Food Network Star. As is the case with most of the above recipes, you can vary the ingredients by changing the type of cheese, adding ham or bacon, or even adding other veggies.
  9. Cinnamon pull apart muffins. Start with two 11-ounce packages of dinner rolls. Separate the rolls and cut each into six pieces. Roll half of the pieces in two tablespoons of melted butter, then toss with a mixture of 1/3 cup sugar, 1/4 cup chopped pecans, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Fill 6 of the muffin cups and repeat with the rest of the pieces, another two tablespoons of melted butter, and another mixture of 1/3 cup sugar, 1/4 cup chopped pecans, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Divide between the rest of the muffin cups.  Combine the leftover sugar mixture from both batches with 1 tablespoon of flour and 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Stir to make a crumb topping; spoon topping over each muffin. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes, or until muffins are golden brown. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes, then remove from muffin pan. Based on an old recipe from The Pampered Chef.
  10. Twice baked potatoes. Start with 6 baked potatoes, cooled enough that you can handle them. Cut each potato in half across the middle (so that you have short, chubby halves rather than long thinner ones). Scoop out most of the potato, leaving a sturdy shell behind. Place one shell into each muffin cup. In a large bowl, mash the scooped out potato. Add 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup milk, 3 chopped green onions, 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Scoop the potato mixture back into the potato cups, and bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Garnish with more green onions, crumbled bacon, and more cheddar cheese. Serve with a dollop of sour cream.

I could probably give you another 10 suggestions if I’d allowed myself to include quick bread and traditional sweet muffin recipes. There are tons of those available on the internet and in cookbooks.

What do you cook in your muffin pan?

8 Ways to Live Fully
This 5-page guide, full of practical tips, will help you create the best possible version of your life.

Photo credit

© 2010 – 2014, Tara Ziegmont. All rights reserved.

Comments

Funny – I was just thinking today that I should try making banana muffins instead of banana bread with some bananas I have that seriously need to have something done with them. I've never made the recipe into muffins though, so I was afraid to do it. Maybe this is just the push I needed.

2. Lindsay @ Just My Blog says

Oh I love twice baked potatoes! I will have to try a few of these recipes! Thanks for the ideas!

What great ideas! I'm definitely going to bookmark this post for later reference – the breakfast cups and twice-baked potatoes are especially appealing!

4. Betsye75 says

Someone made me brownies (with a piece of chocolate melted into the center) in a muffin tin. It was de-LISH-ious. Only downside – the serving size made me eat too much and I felt a little sick afterwards.

What a fun list! I love the idea of making individual foods – meatloaves, au gratin potatoes, etc. I'm going to have to try that.

My kids love to eat out of muffin tins. They think it's hilarious to have their lunch served in them, with a small cup in one, some grapes in another, cheese cubes in a third, etc.

Anna here from Top Ten Tuesday. :D

Great Post! I LOVE finding multiple uses for items I already have in my house.

This weekend, I made Mini Fruit Pies in my muffin tins (click the link to see my recipe). They turned out great!

I also use muffin tins to help me stay organized — I use them to sort buttons and beads in the craft room, earrings and other jewelry, and even to sort seeds when I'm planting my vegetable garden.

(visiting from Top Ten Tuesdays)

7. Sheriw1965 says

Great ideas – especially the breakfast ones! Serving small food in each compartment almost makes me wish my kids were still little. :-)

8. momstart1 says

You are so creative. I'm going to have to bookmark this just so I can try some of your recipes. Like the pull apart muffins. YUMMY!

This is fantastic!! I thought it was going to be something like “keep your buttons sorted” or something – what an awesome list of fun recipes!

10. Heather @wistfulwrists says

Some great new ideas in here. I really like the breakfast cups & portion for freezing broth. Thanks for sharing. I found you from WFMW.

11. Crystal & Co says

I have made individual meatloafs many time in my muffin pan. They cook so fast you never have to worry about the middle not being done!

Great tips. I am going to share this link with my Facebook readers.

Stopping by from WFMW!

12. Tiffiny Felix says

Found you on Works for Me Wednesdays :) These are great ideas, I especially love the mini upside-down cakes–they must be so cute!! :)

13. April says

What great ideas! I can't wait to try a few of these, especially the breakfast cups and twice baked potatoes.

14. Lenetta says

I'm also a muffin tin organizer person :>) and I use my sillicone muffin pan to freeze 1/2 cup pucks of diced green pepper, which I then just toss into soup and stuff. I linked to you on my weekly roundup – thanks for sharing!

15. Natalie says

I make mini Sheppard’s pie …put a flattened biscuit in the bottom fill with hamburger meat, corn and then top with mashed potatoes and cheese…bake for 20 minutes and you are done…
    I also make inside out egg rolls…put one wanton wrapper in the bottom, fill with cabbage, pork, carrots, ginger, and garlic and onions…cook for 20 minutes and serve with soy sauce and duck sauce…yummy

16. Justine says

I make some scrambled eggs, (you can also put whatever you want in the eggs) then spray the muffin pan, stuff a slice of bread in the bottom of the muffin cup, (so it looks like a cup) then put the scrambled eggs into the bread, top with bacon crumbles, cheese, onion, fresh tyme, whatever you want, then bake for 10 – 15 minutes. They look and taste great!

17. Phillipa Wirangi says

Awesome ideas! So glad I came across this.
    I made quiche last night in my muffin pan for hubbys lunch.

18. Laura P. says

Just made the twice baked potatoes!!!! They were delicious with extra cheese, made in my cupcake maker. Thanks for uploading 8)

19. Terrye says

I like to make mini sausage & mushroom quiche in muffin pans. Great for breakfast, lunch or a quick dinner. And they freeze great!

Some really great ideas! I really like the mini-meatloaf idea. I just tried a mini-quiche thing the other day and it worked beautifully! I had some zucchini that needed to be used, so I grated it up, added eggs, goat cheese, herbs, garlic and some rice flour… I never get to use my muffin tin so I thought “what the hell”. It was so much more fun having mini quiches though! I would def try more muffin tin recipes!

21. Kat says

Mac & cheese! When I make it homemade, I do a regular batch in a big pan, and a second batch for the freezer. Bake in muffin tins and let cool. Ease them out of the tins and freeze for later.

I didn’t realize that the meatloaf muffins were already out there somewhere. But my wife and I created our own little recipe that includes a little bbq sauce and mashed potatoes on top. Check this one out..

I also recently found and modified a recipe for personal pan pizzas cooked in a muffin pan. I posted that recipe on my blog.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I am making the egg breakfast ones right now (litterally in the oven as we speak)

23. Clare says

I use mine for breakfast style snacks.
    Line each muffin cup with ham, in a pan fry onion and mushroom until tender, set aside to cool.
    Meanwhile in a mixing bowl/jug, beat together 3 eggs, 1 cup milk, 1 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt. Add onion mushroom mix to egg mixture and stir.
    Pour equal amounts of mixture into the muffin cups and bake for 20 mins or until mixture is set.
    One of my favourite breakfast snacks, and taste just as good cold! :)

It depends on the recipe. I usually don’t use papers in a mini muffin pan, but do use them in a regular muffin pan if the food going in is gooey, like a batter. Does that help at all?

I also don’t spray with cooking spray. I almost always use a little melted butter.