This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy for more information.
I’ve had this recipe at lots of different picnics and potlucks, and I always love it. It’s so versatile, and it transports really well.
If you’re making it the night before, leave out the Ramen noodles, almonds, and sesame seeds. They will get soggy if left in the salad too long.
- 1 small head cabbage, shredded
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 package of Ramen noodles, broken into smallish pieces
- 1 can (8 oz) sliced water chestnuts, coarsely chopped
- 3 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 2½ oz sliced or slivered almonds
- Optional – raisins, shredded chicken
- 1⁄2 cup salad oil
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1⁄2 tsp pepper
- Garlic, pinch
- 3 Tbsp vinegar (I use cider vinegar)
- Combine cabbage, onions, Ramen noodles, and water chestnuts.
- Preheat oven to 275. Place sesame seeds and almonds on two separate cookie sheets. Toast seeds and nuts until slightly browned, about 5 minutes for seeds and 10 to 15 minutes for almonds. Cool, then add sesame seeds and almonds to the salad.
- Whisk all dressing ingredients together. Pour over salad.
© 2010 – 2013, Tara Ziegmont. All rights reserved.