How to Make Chex Mix

At a friend’s house this evening, Grace discovered that she likes Chex Mix.

I’ve never been a fan, so she didn’t have to worry about me nibbling from her bowl.

I wonder if that was part of its charm.

At any rate, I poured Grace a bowl of Chex Mix (the premade kind, in a bag), and she immediately picked out all of the Chex and left the pretzels and crackers behind.

My like these little crunchy things, Momma.

I told her that they’re a kind of cereal, and that you can eat with milk or as a snack.

Can my have more of the little crunchy things?

Have you ever tried explaining Why not? to a 2-1/2-year-old who wants you to pick the cereal bits out of a friend’s bag of Chex Mix?

It doesn’t compute.

My want more little crunchy things.

She was begging for a healthy food. No sugar involved. How often does that happen?

When we got home, I looked up the recipe for Chex Mix, tweaked it, and I gave Joe a shopping list.

Chex-only Chex Mix

Ingredients
  • 3 tablespoons of butter
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • ¾ teaspoon seasoned salt
  • ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
  • ¼ teaspoon onion powder
  • 5½ cups Chex cereal (use any combination of flavors)
  • ½ cup mixed nuts
Instructions
  1. In a large bowl, microwave butter for 30 seconds or until melted. Stir in seasonings. Gradually stir in cereal and nuts until evenly coated.
  2. Microwave uncovered for 4 to 5 minutes, thoroughly stirring every 4 to 5 minutes.
  3. Spread on paper towels to cool, about 5 minutes.
  4. Store in an airtight container.
Notes
This makes 12 half-cup servings, so each serving contains only ¾ of a teaspoon of butter. When you add in the Chex cereal and the nuts, I’d say it’s a pretty healthy snack option.

If you want to read the original Chex Mix recipe, you can visit General Mills’ website.

Photo by HellowSputnik

© 2010 – 2013, Tara Ziegmont. All rights reserved.

Comments

1. mama2monkeys says

thank you for posting this. my almost 2 year olds love the chex. but chew and then delightfully spit out anything else where ever the stand

2. Amy says

We made Chex Mix at Christmas time. Nate really liked to too (although not the nuts- generally with nuts he chews them up like a wood chipper and then spits them somewhere- like my hand.) I really liked hearing him ask for more as it sounded like “More chipmunks please.”

Ew! Grace really likes nuts. One of the reasons that I posted this is that we can all adjust it to our own kiddos. You could use bagel chips and pretzels with the Chex; that's what the original recipe calls for. Or some other combination. :)

4. shopannies says

delicious I am sort of like Grace as I take it apart piece by piece and eat every piece in order first cereal, then the pretzels ….

6. shopannies says