This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy for more information.
Gracie won’t eat the same thing day after day. She’s not a picky eater; she eats a satisfactory assortment of different foods. She just won’t eat the same foods more than two days in a row. Putting the same dish in front of her a third day results in a serious,
No want that.
If I ignore her, she says,
Mommy! My want somefing else! No want that!
It doesn’t go away. She won’t eat it the third day.
So… we need a wider variety of lunch foods.
Today, Joe sent a ham and cheddar sandwich with Miracle Whip on Sara Lee Soft & Smooth 100% Whole Wheat bread in her lunch bag, and, according to her teachers, Grace devoured it.
Tomorrow, Grace’s lunch bag will hold a toasted ham and cheese. I’m not sure if that will count as day two or not.
At any rate, in celebration of Sara Lee’s Take Your Whole Grain Sandwich to School Day next Thursday, September 3, I wanted to share a handful of interesting sandwich recipes for Joe to pack in Grace’s lunch you to make for your kids.
- 2 slices Sara Lee Soft & Smooth 100% Whole Wheat Bread*
- 2 slices Hillshire Farm Ultra Thin Pastrami (substitute: Sara Lee Cracked Pepper Breast of Turkey)*
- 2 slices Hillshire Farm Ultra Thin Smoked Ham (substitute: Sara Lee Virginia brand Baked Ham)*
- 1 slice provolone or white American cheese
- 1-2 teaspoons of low fat Italian dressing
- Veggies for topping – shredded or leaf lettuce, sliced tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, sliced olives, or whatever your kids like or will eat
- On bottom slice of Sara Lee Soft & Smooth bread place Hillshire Farm Ultra Thin Pastrami, Hillshire Farm Ultra Thin Smoked Ham and cheese.
- Top with veggies as desired.
- Add low fat Italian dressing and final slice of bread.
Fun Fiesta Sandwich
- 2 slices Sara Lee® Soft & Smooth™ 100% Whole Wheat Bread*
- 2-3 slices of Hillshire Farm® Ultra Thin™ Rotisserie Seasoned Chicken Breast (substitute: Sara Lee® Oven Roasted Breast of Chicken)*
- 2 Tablespoons grated mozzarella
- 2 Tablespoons naturally fat free chunky salsa
- 1 piece of leaf lettuce – shredded
- Place slices of Hillshire Farm Ultra Thin Rotisserie Seasoned Chicken Breast on bottom slice of Sara Lee Soft & Smooth bread.
- Top with grated cheese, shredded lettuce, fat free salsa and final slice of bread.
- Cut sandwich into 2 triangles and serve.
- I think this one would be delicious toasted.
*Use your favorite brands. You can also see my giveaway below for a chance to win free Sara Lee baked goods.
Sweet Strawberry Sandwich
- 2 slices Sara Lee® Soft & Smooth™ 100% Honey Wheat Bread
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- 2 Tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 4 medium strawberries sliced
- Spread half of peanut butter on each slice of Sara Lee Soft & Smooth bread.
- Layer strawberries on top of peanut butter on one piece of bread. Drizzle honey over strawberries.
- Top with remaining slice of bread.
Guess what, Dear Reader! Sara Lee is giving FIVE lucky Feels like Home readers coupons for free bread! Each reader will receive on coupon for a free Sara Lee Bakery item. You can choose the item – bread, buns, or bagels.
To enter: Visit Sara Lee’s site, the Joy of Eating, and choose a bakery product. Come back here and tell us which you chose and why.
For extra entries: You can earn extra entries for the following:
- Tweet about this giveaway and leave the URL for the Tweet in the comments. You may do this daily.
- Write about this giveaway on your blog, including Feels like Home and the Sara Lee. Leave the URL in a comment.
- Post my button on your sidebar. Report the URL for your site in a comment.
- Subscribe to the Feels like Home Recommends and/or Feels like Home main feed and report it in a comment.
- Fave Feels like Home on Technorati and report it in a comment, including your Technorati username.
Good luck! I’ll use Random.org to choose a winner some time after 11:59 pm on September 3, 2009 – Take Your Whole Grain Sandwich to School Day!
I’d like to thank Sara Lee for providing the coupons for this giveaway opportunity.
© 2009 – 2013, Tara Ziegmont. All rights reserved.