Homemade Ice Cream

easy homemade ice cream recipe

I love ice cream.

I love to make ice cream.

Back in Febraury, I shared an awesome recipe for homemade ice cream, Philadelphia-style, but there are a lot of possible variations that I failed to mention.

Do you know what Philadelphia style ice cream means? It is easy. Philadelphia style ice cream has no eggs and requires no cooking. It’s most simply cream and sugar with flavorings added. This is different from custard style ice cream, which is cooked slowly and contains eggs. It’s a much heartier ice cream, but requires considerably more work.

Easy Philadelphia-Style Vanilla Ice Cream

• 2 cups of heavy cream
  • 1 cup of whole milk
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • Dash of salt
  • 1 tablespoon of vanilla – I use Mexican vanilla that we bought on our honeymoon, so I use half that amount.
  1. Mix all ingredients together.
  2. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or longer.
  3. Mix in your ice cream maker as directed. (To use ours, you have to assemble the whole thing – including the paddle – then pour in the ice cream. Individual machines vary, though, so follow your own instructions.)
  4. If you use the ice cream right out of the machine, it will have a soft serve consistency. For harder ice cream, put it into an airtight container and freeze overnight.

Other flavors of homemade ice cream

Once you have a basic recipe like this one, it’s easy to make a variety of flavors.

For fruit-flavored ice cream, I add fresh fruit. You can use strawberries, cherries, peaches, pineapple, bananas… you’re really limited only by your imagination.

• For a fruit and cream consistency – Mash fruit coarsely with a fork. Add 1 1/2 cups of mashed fruit in step one. Proceed as directed.
  • For a homogeneously fruity consistency – Puree fruit in the blender. Add 1 cup of pureed fruit in step one. Proceed as directed.

For chocolate ice cream, you have a lot of options. When making chocolate ice cream, I cut the vanilla in half.

• Chocolate syrup – Add 1/3 to 2/3 cup of syrup in step one
  • Melted chocolate - Melt a couple of handfuls of chocolate chips with a few tablespoons of heavy cream. Add in step one. In step two, refrigerate until well chilled. It may take a couple of hours.
  • Cocoa powder – Mix 1/2 cup cocoa powder in step one. Taste for sweetness, you may need to add extra sugar.

For other flavors, you can experiment with liquors or flavor extracts. Be careful to use only a tablespoon at a time, and do a lot of tasting.

I’d love to hear what you’re making!

8 Ways to Live Fully
This 5-page guide, full of practical tips, will help you create the best possible version of your life.

© 2009 – 2014, Tara Ziegmont. All rights reserved.

Comments

No eggs? Did you say NO EGGS?! OMG, yes you did! I love you, love you, love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We’re egg allergic, and so far I’ve been able to find only one ice cream recipe that works. It’s a bit more complicated than this. I think I’ll have to try yours this weekend.

Oh, happy day!

9to5to9’s last blog post..Breaking out on his own at age 5

Oh, happy day!

9to5to9’s last blog post..Breaking out on his own at age 5

Awesome. I have not made homemade Ice cream in ages- that means years and years and years! I love it, but just have not done it. Your post is making me rethink my lack of doing it.

Now to find the ice cream maker!

Thanks for sharing.

Now to find the ice cream maker!

Thanks for sharing.

5. Sherry says

Oh, yum! I’m always looking for new recipes for ice cream. :D I’m making out my grocery list now.

Sherry’s last blog post..Bet You Didn’t Know You Could Make Italian Sausage!

6. zoe says

I have a fantastic recipe for pomegranate ice cream that doesn’t need an ice cream maker or to have crystals broken up, etc. Mix and freeze until solid.

zoe’s last blog post..Thai Roast Chicken

I took a cooking class once and someone brought in coconut ice cream which they made with coconut milk. It was delicious, and I’m not even a big fan of coconut. Thanks for the great tips.

Angela’s last blog post..Kitchen Tip Tuesday

Angela’s last blog post..Kitchen Tip Tuesday

9. SweetsLady says

Sherry’s last blog post..Bet You Didn’t Know You Could Make Italian Sausage!

10. zoe says

zoe’s last blog post..Thai Roast Chicken

11. astrid says

I did an ice cream post too! We’re loving our homemade ice cream…it’s so easy to make!

astrid’s last blog post..Best Ever Chocolate Ice Cream

12. astrid says

astrid’s last blog post..Best Ever Chocolate Ice Cream

Thanks for the recipe. We’re planning on getting an ice cream maker soon, so I hope to put it to good use. I noticed you have a Rival ice cream maker, does it work well for you?

Stacy’s last blog post..Elmer

Stacy – It does work well. I’ve never had a problem with it, and I’ve had it almost ten years. I do wish I had a bigger one because I have to make multiple batches if company is coming. Aside from that, though, I’ve never had any complaints with it.

Stacy’s last blog post..Elmer

15. gomezparkinson says

I got an ice cream maker last summer as a housewarming gift. Finally used it last week. Basically followed this recipe without even knowing it, and I’m from Philadelphia, too! I used two cups cream, one banana, a huge glop of natural peanut butter, vanilla extract and a few tablespoons of honey instead of sugar. It turned out great. Made a quart. I’ll be making strawberry banana tomorrow. It’s easy!

16. gomezparkinson says

17. Kira says

We made this over this past Christmas break – and it was delicious! I pulled out, and dusted off my old Donvier (that I think is at least 20 years old) and made it with my kids. I set about half the batch of vanilla to the side and mixed in crushed candy canes to see if it would pass for peppermint – it was awesome! I look forward to trying more recipes – fun and easy to do with kids.

18. Kira says

Hello!
    Thank you so much for the wonderful egg-free ice cream recipe! As I am pregnant, I try to avoid ice cream with eggs that might be not cooked enough, but I had difficulties finding a chocolate ice cream recipe without eggs. Yours is wonderful! The texture is great. I made it with my 4 year-old daughter, using milk chocolate and mexican vanilla. The vanilla gave it almost a coconut flavour, and my husband said it tasted almost like a Bounty chocolate bar. Next time, which will probably be this week end, we will try it again, using another kind of vanilla and dark chocolate.
    Greetings from Montreal, Canada!
    Stephanie

Hi Stephanie!
      I’m so glad that you liked it, and I’m also delighted that you were able to make it with your daughter. My 4-year-old and I do a lot of cooking together, too. Those are the days I’ll remember forever. :)

20. Amanda says

I made this but replaced the cup of whole milk with coconut milk and it came out great! This is an easy and tasty base recipe. Love that there are no eggs!

Also made a cinnamon ice cream using this base- but instead of white sugar I used sugar in the raw. So so good! Especially on top of a warm cinnamon bun!

21. Natalie says

I was craving homemade banana ice cream something terrible about a couple of months ago, so I bought an ice cream maker after finding your recipe for egg-free ice cream. I am in love! Since then, I’ve been making more almost every week, and have shared with all the neighbors! That first day was so much fun! After the banana ice cream, which I ate for breakfast, I used your vanilla recipe (made a fantastic double batch of that!), and by adding some rootbeer extract, I made rootbeer ice cream for my husband, who loves rootbeer shakes. It was a huge hit with everyone! I also made your chocolate version, using chocolate syrup. My son thought it tasted exactly like a frosty from Wendy’s! So, I decided to try making it with cocoa powder instead, and we think it’s much better that way. I ended up using a little more sugar, but not much.

I thought it was time to come up with something new on my own, so a few minutes ago I finished making Chocolate-Orange ice cream! I used your vanilla recipe, adding 1/2 cup cocoa powder, and about 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of orange extract. Sorry, I didn’t measure it exactly. It’s some of the best ice cream I’ve ever had!

Thanks for the wonderful recipe! You really can make it with different flavors and it tastes perfect every time!

We recently bought our first ice cream maker and after having a bit of a disaster with a peach & coconut version, I was really nervous but desperate to try and have another go. I just tried the version with cocoa powder and it tastes amazing! I also added chocolate chips in at the end and I was so impressed – it tastes rich but not at all bitter. My husband and kids are going to be fighting over this one and I can’t wait to try a nutella and banana version!

What happened with the peach & coconut? This recipe is tried and true and won’t let you down! We’ve tried it in a bunch of different flavors, and it’s always good.

1. [...] and avocado dip recipe was adapted from Fuji Mama Ice cream base recipe was adapted from Feels Like Home This entry was posted in Dessert, Pork, Soup, Vegetable, Vegetarian and tagged avocado dip, [...]

2. [...] consensus in our family was that the candy was too bitter and coconut milk ice cream is the best.Coconut milk is the star in several recipes because it produces an ice cream that is certainly cream…es with an intriguing "fake" ice cream made with raspberries, sugar and egg white. For a chunky [...]