Happy (Belated) Birthday, Eric Carle!

Is there anyone who doesn’t love Eric Carle’s colorful children’s books?

I can’t imagine that there is.

I distinctly remember reading The Very Hungry Caterpillar as a child. I was a very hungry kid, and I related to the chubby bug.

Except for the turning into a beautiful butterfly part. I’m not sure I got around to that.Eric Carle Books

I noticed yesterday that its author, Eric Carle, was turning 80, so I dug around through our living room to see how many of his books were sitting around. They are in the photo at the right. A few are library books, but most are from our personal collection.

Grace’s favorite among Eric Carle’s books is Have You Seen My Cat? and mine is 10 Little Rubber Ducks.

I’ve been keeping up with his blog ever since Allie featured it on No Time for Flashcards. He doesn’t post a whole lot, but I have really enjoy reading his thoughts on his books, his art, and his life.

Eric Carle also has a website full of information, including resources for parents and teachers and a complete list of his books. There are dozens of books I’d not heard of before, including Why Noah Chose the Dove, The Mixed-Up Chameleon, and Draw Me a Star.

Mr. Carle founded the Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art in Massachusetts, and I’m going to make a push for a visit.

You can should also watch Eric Carle on YouTube. I am happy to say that he is just as I’d imagined (except that he likes sushi, that was a surprise).

If you love Eric Carle’s books, and you want to share them with some little people in your life, you might consider some of the following activities:

I’m sure I’ve missed some great activities. Will you list yours in the comments?

Happily submitted to Finer Things Friday, Hooked on Fridays, and Monday’s Muse

© 2009 – 2013, Tara Ziegmont. All rights reserved.

Comments

I love Eric Carle’s books. He did a think on Mr. Rogers a few years ago (I think that was the show) and it showed how he did his artwork with the torn paper and such. Really interesting!

Robyns Online World’s last blog post..1 Year Blog Anniversary!

Brown Bear, Brown Bear is one of my son’s very favorite books. I had no idea that Eric Carle was that old! I didn’t read his books as a child, but my kids have certainly fallen in love with then so I read a lot of them now.

4. Robyn's Online World says

Robyns Online World’s last blog post..1 Year Blog Anniversary!

My oldest daughter always loved his books. I don’t think that we have any of them around now. I’ll have to introduce my younger kids to them.

7. mannequin says

Eric Carle was indeed, one of our favorites as well. We were in DC a few weeks ago and he was scheduled to attend a book signing. The person I was with has no taste :) so I missed it!

8. mannequin says

you know, I don’t think I’ve ever read any of his books! We have such a large collection of other books at home that I’ve never felt the need to get more. There are some we haven’t read yet…plus the gifts keep coming. I might have to go get one though, so many people adore them. Thanks for sharing at Monday’s Muse!

H.E.Eigler’s last blog post..Monday’s Muse – the Blog Meme for Creative Moms

H.E.Eigler’s last blog post..Monday’s Muse – the Blog Meme for Creative Moms

11. Pamela Kramer says

I love his books too!

Pamela Kramer’s last blog post..Supreme Pizza Casserole – Grandma Gave It Two Thumbs Up!

12. Pamela Kramer says