Apple Crisp

Food inspires me. I love it. I love reviving the lost food arts that my grandmother and mother practiced years ago. I am full of pride when I freeze or can food to use later on, and the feelings come right back when I pull it out of the freezer or cupboard and serve it.

Last weekend, I bought a bushel of apples. Really, I only wanted a half bushel (to make homemade applesauce), but the whole bushel was a better deal, and I was able to get two different varieties.

I made two batches of applesauce last weekend. I peeled, cored, and sliced apples until I had 6 gallons of them in the freezer for cakes and pancakes later on.

Today, I made crockpot applesauce chicken and apple crisp for my family’s Sunday dinner.

And still, I have a full half bushel of apples left. I guess I’ll make more applesauce tomorrow, or maybe, I’ll make more apple crisp and freeze it. Can you do that, freeze apple crisp?

I have two favorite apple crisp recipes, so it’s a good idea.

Crunchy Apple Crisp
Ingredients:

• 7 or 8 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
  • Cinnamon Plus Spice Blend to taste (from the Pampered Chef – substitute apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice instead)
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1 stick butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup all purpose white flour
  • 1/4 cup whole wheat flour

Instructions:

1. Arrange apples in a 9×9 or similarly sized round baking dish. (I like to make this in a round dish.) Sprinkle cinnamon over apples, then pour water over top.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix together butter, white sugar, and brown sugar. Stir in flour and blend until the dough has a paste-like consistency.
  3. Spread crust over top of the apples in the baking dish.
  4. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until brown on top.
  5. Serve hot with vanilla ice cream.

Quick Apple Crisp (adapted from a Pampered Chef recipe)
Ingredients:

• 5-7 large apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
  • 1 yellow cake mix
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Cinnamon Plus Spice Blend, divided

Instructions:

1. Arrange apples in a 9×9 or similarly sized round baking dish. (I like to make this in a round dish.) Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of cinnamon over apples.
  2. In a medium bowl, combine butter, nuts, cake mix, sugar, and remaining cinnamon. Mix well, until crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over the apples.
  3. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until crumb is golden brown.
  4. Serve hot with vanilla ice cream.

© 2008 – 2012, Tara Ziegmont. All rights reserved.

Comments

1. SarahHub says

If you can’t freeze it, let me know. I’ll give you my address and you can ship it here. You know, just because I would hate for those apples to go to waste!

2. SarahHub says

3. H.E.Eigler says

MMMmmmmmmm Yummy! Apple Crisp is one of my most favorite desserts – especially in fall, but we eat it all year round. You’ve inspired me to eat some! Now, there’s just that whole cooking it thing to get through :)

4. H.E.Eigler says

5. Chrissy says

Great recipes! I needed some new apple recipes – the kitchen has been overflowing with them. :-) My mom and grandma also taught me to love cooking, and so much joy comes from making a recipe that’s been passed down!

6. Chrissy says

7. Paula Constable says

Yummy! I just made a simple apple crisp. I’ll have to try these out. I have lots of apples. Ice cream makes it the much more yummy.

8. Paula Constable says

9. AC says

I have gala apples, will they work for cooking? I can never remember my apples.

10. AC says

YUM. That quick apple crisp looks really good. Might try to make it using splenda. I have gala apples, will they work for cooking? I can never remember my apples.

11. Tara @ Feels like home says

Sarahub – I LOL at your comment. Thanks for the chuckle! :)

12. Tara @ Feels like home says

Sarahub – I LOL at your comment. Thanks for the chuckle! :)AC – Gala apples are traditionally small and sort of soft. You can use them for cooking, but understand that they will be very soft and turn into applesauce quickly. When you slice them for the apple crisp, leave the pieces very thick so that they will cook as slowly as possible. Gala apples are sweet, so the flavor of your crisp should be terrific. Please come back and tell us how your Gala apple crisp turns out! :)Dore’ – You can do it! Start with something small, like making apple crisp, and work your way up to the bigger stuff. :)