Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

Every year, we buy a glut of tomatoes, and Joe spends a full day blanching, peeling, blending and cooking homemade spaghetti sauce. A full batch or two lasts us through the whole winter.

My mom, Grandma, and Gran have shared lots of recipes over the years. This is one of them. I remember it fondly from my childhood. I think it started with Granny, who is my father’s mother.

homemade spaghetti sauce recipe

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

Ingredients
  • 1 peck of tomatoes
  • 10 onions, chopped coarsely, divided
  • 3 stalks of celery, chopped coarsely
  • 1 green pepper, chopped coarsely
  • 2 very large cloves of garlic, pressed
  • 1 tablespoon oregano
  • 5 bay leaves
  • 1½ tablespoons basil
  • 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
  • ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • ½ cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 18 ounces tomato paste
  • 32 ounces sliced mushrooms
Instructions
  1. Blend tomatoes, half of onions, celery, and green pepper in blender to desired level of chunkiness. We like our sauce fairly smooth, so we blend ours for a good long while on Chop.
  2. Transfer blended vegetables to a very large pot (at least 8 quarts). Add spices, tomato paste, mushrooms, and remaining onions. Cook for 3 hours, or until desired consistency is reached.
  3. Remove bay leaves.
  4. Preserve as desired. Makes 5 to 6 quarts.
Notes
We can our spaghetti sauce. You could also freeze it if you so chose.

Enhanced by Zemanta

© 2008 – 2012, Tara Ziegmont. All rights reserved.

Comments

1. Sab says

I haven’t in awhile, but I really liked to make a huge batch of sauce (2 large pots) and then freeze into individual portions (2-4 people) and have them for a few months in the deepfreeze.

2. Sab says

3. Mindy says

I’ve given you a blog award. Just visit my site to pick it up. :)

4. Mindy says

You are really tempting me with the whole canning idea. I really want to try it now.I’ve given you a blog award. Just visit my site to pick it up. :)

5. Lynn says

This looks really good. We did not have a good tomato year this year. I did not have enough to can, but I will have to remember this one. Thanks.

6. Lynn says

7. Lynette says

My husband loves Ragu only because rarely make homemade spag sauce. Given the choice though, he’d take the former. Thanks for the recipe. I’ll give it a go!

8. Lynette says

9. Schotzy says

I cant imagine starting from scratch with a peck of tomatoes. Tbhey jsut arent that available here, or else are cost preventative. But o, my goodness, this looks so good. I’m reminded of how grandma made her’s, but I;ll ahve to resort to canned tomatoes, alas.

10. Schotzy says